Chapter 30

"Good morning, Ms. Chloe Esguerra," the guy in tuxedo greeted. He was sitting on the couch while holding a cup of coffee.

Tumingin naman ako kay Nanay Meling at tumango naman siya. She looked at me with worried eyes but I smiled at her to give her assurance that everything would be okay before she left the two of us.

Umupo naman ako sa tapat ng lalaki at saka ko inilapag ang bag ko sa gilid. He gave me the ticket, along with my passport and visa. When I looked at the details, I realized I'd stay there for four days and I had to double check, hoping that my eyes were just playing tricks on me, but they weren't.

"Why?" I looked at the guy. "Why do I have to stay there for four days?"

"Sorry, Miss, but the only one who can answer that is your father," he said with a heavy sigh. "But it is for your family's sake."

I almost scoffed at the mention of that word, as if they really valued its meaning.

"What if I refuse?" I posed, tossing the ticket to the table.

"Then I have to forcefully get you to the plane," he answered while pushing the documents I needed towards me.

See? How could he say this would be for our family's sake if his words sounded like orders and threats?

Sinamaan ko ng tingin ang lalaki pero nginitian niya lang ako. Dahil wala rin naman akong magagawa kahit ano pa ang gawin ko ay tumayo na lang ako habang bitbit ang bag ko. I returned to my room to pack more clothes and I had to use a luggage because I'd be staying there for four freaking days.

Tiningnan ko naman ang digital clock sa bedside table ko at past 4 A.M. na. Hindi ako nakatulog kagabi dahil kung anu-ano ang pumapasok sa isip ko kaya naman maaga akong nag-prepare. I thought it would only be for one day that was why I didn't prepare anything but my valuables.

I quietly left my room and Greg, he told me his name before I went back to my room, was already waiting for me. He carried my luggage and we both went down carefully to avoid uneccessary noise that could wake up everyone.

Si Nanay Meling lang ang gising ngayon at hinatid niya kami papunta sa kotse ni Greg.

"Chloe," she called, her face still painted with worry.

"I'm fine, Nanay Meling," I said. "Huwag mo na lang munang sabihin sa kanila."

"Pero . . ."

"Ikaw na muna ang bahala sa kanila."

Pagkasabi ko no'n ay pinapasok na ako ni Greg at saka niya pinaandar ang kotse.

***

I never had the chance to visit Singapore because of my parents. They once invited me but I declined. I couldn't imagine spending some time with them after so many years of being alone. And I felt like if I went there, I'd lose my pride.

"Our flight is scheduled at 6:15 A.M. You still have an hour and a half to rest."

Hindi ko naman sinagot si Greg at nagsaksak na lang ako ng earphones sa tenga ko. Tiningnan ko ang phone ko at nag-compose ako ng message para sa kanya.

Hey. I'll be out for four days so take care of them for me.

I scheduled the message to be sent at 6:15 A.M., the same time as my flight so I would not be able to see his reply. Pagkatapos no'n ay saglit akong umidlip at nagising na lang ako na nasa airport na kami.

The flight was around four hours and when we arrived at the Changi airport, several guys dressed like Greg were already there to pick us up.

"The meeting is about to start," the tallest guy said to Greg.