Chapter 53

"Ate! Ate! Cake!" Czanelle beamed as she offered me a mouthful of chocolate cake. Kinain ko naman ang nasa tinidor niya at ngumiti siya sa akin habang punung-puno ng chocolate ang paligid ng bibig niya.

Tiningnan ko naman ang mga pumunta rito sa bahay para sa birthday ko. I didn't know what to feel or what to do because this was the first time I had people to celebrate with besides Nanay Fe, Nanay Meling and Kuya Larry.

Napatigil naman ako nang makita kong nakatingin sa akin si Mom. She was sitting on the wheelchair since, according to the doctor, she would experience disorientation and loss of bodily function as the disease progresses. She was looking at me intently, as if she was trying to remember me.

Talking to her became one of my fears but I gathered my courage and walked toward her direction and my heart sank when I saw the photo he was holding. It was her holding me when I was just a toddler.

"M-Mom . . ."

Nagpabalik-balik ang tingin niya sa akin at sa picture. Doon ko lang din nakita ang notebook na nakapatong sa lap niya. She caressed the notebook while curiously looking at me so I gently took it from her. Pagbukas ko ay nakita ko kaagad ang family portrait naming tatlo noon at ang picture nilang apat sa Singapore. The next pages were filled with sloppy handwriting and scribbles but reading the words she wrote almost made me cry.

Our names were written repeatedly as well as our birthdays and physical description. She remembered me and my birthday because of this.

"Birth . . . day . . ." she muttered while tightly holding our photo.

"Thank you, Mom," I replied and I had to hold back the tears that were threatening to come out.

Niyakap ko siya nang mahigpit at agad na tumulo ang luha ko nang maramdaman ko ang kamay niya sa likod ko. I was sure she'd reject it just like most of the time but today was different and it made my birthday more special.

"Cry . . . ? Okay . . ."

I couldn't understand what she was saying but the way she stroked my hair was enough to discern her feelings. Even if this would just be for today, I was glad that I got my Mom back.

"I missed you," I whispered and we stayed like that for a minute.

Pagkatapos no'n ay humiwalay ako sa yakap niya at ngumiti sa kanya. Nanay Meling approached us and brought her some food. Umalis muna ako ro'n at balak ko sanang sa gilid lang pumwesto pero biglang hinatak ni Queenie ang braso ko.

"No slumber party?" tanong niya kaagad at may hawak na siyang glass of wine.

"H'wag mo akong itulad sa'yo."

"Uh, yeah. You're not that cool." Sinamaan ko siya ng tingin. "Speaking of cool, what can you say about Jazer?"

"Huh?"

"Witch, he planned this."

Hindi ko alam kung ano ang naging itsura ko nang sabihin niya 'yon pero ngumiti siya nang nakakaloko at agad akong umiwas ng tingin. My cheeks felt hot and when I saw him smiling while talking to Kuya Larry, I could feel my heart throbbing loudly.

"You're so obvious," she teased.

"Oh, shut up, bitch."

"Just tell him you love him and get—what the hell?" Bumitiw naman siya sa akin at pagtingin ko sa tinitingnan niya ay magkausap sina Jazer at Katrina. "That leech."

She marched toward their direction and she just left me there, flustered. What the heck was that? Love? That freaking bitch.

Pinanood ko na lang silang tatlo at sinamaan ng tingin ni Katrina si Queenie. Iñigo looked so done with both of them but the way he stared at Queenie with a subtle smile on his face made my heart flutter. Ugh. I couldn't believe I wasn't cringing at them.