Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Lauren's POV

The wait was agonizing, but the thought of escape and survival made it worth it. Well, to some extent.

"Lauren? What will it be like when we get back?" Angel asks plopping down with a smile on her face. "Mom's gonna throw a great big party, with food, games, and all our friends." I say, comforting us both with the thought of mom.

I can picture her seeing us return, even if we are practically skin and bones, with unusally pale skin, and extremely messy curls.

I see her bright and cheery eyes welcoming us before she can speak, her smile spreading across her face, even though she was older, her face remained free of wrinkles and stress. Her tannish blonde hair tightly wound into a bun, so it wouldn't fly everywhere when she ran to hug us.

"Do you think Mommy will recognize us?" Angel asks startling me out of my fantasy. "Of course, she'll know its us, she can't forget us, her spunky little blondes."

That made her giggle and jump up from the couch. "I'm spunky!" She cries, laughing through every word. It had been so long since I've seen her laugh, smile, and dance.

"Girls."

"We're almost home!" I say getting up and jumping with Angel. I grab her hands and twirl her around, cringing at the pain in my arm, but keeping the grin spread across my face.

"Girls!" Bailey barks, stopping us both, "Katherine is awake."

My eyes instantly flick to the rustling Katherine on the couch, my joy gone in an instant. "Oh My God! Katherine, are you in pain?" I gasp, I'm by her side in an instant.

"A-am I dead..?" She whispers, squeezing her eyes tightly shut. "You were close, but no."

She groans and opens her eyes a little. "Do you feel okay?" I ask, she only shrugs.

"Were getting out." I whisper and she stares at me. "How can you be sure?" She asks.

I motion to Angel who was happily playing a game on Baileys phone. "We are going to call the police when he gets home." I say and her eyes widen, "Why not now?!"

"He could get away, we need to make sure he is punished for this." I say, a smile creeping across my face.

"I'm not sure I understand..." She says rubbing her head and wincing.

"He isn't home, so if he sees the cop cars can just run. But if he's here, it's a slimmer chance of him getting away." I say, proud of the sort of plan.

"And how do you know he won't kill us when he sees the cars?" She asks giving me an unamused look.

"We just have to hope." I mumble sheepishly, rubbing the back of my neck. Thanks to that little seed of doubt Katherine gave, a gap I hadn't noticed filled our plan.

"Bailey? What time does he get off work?" I ask and she closes her eyes in thought. "At 2 I think." She says scrunching up her face.

"Would you be a dear and put the pillow behind my head Angel?" Bailey asks motioning with her head. Angel nods and adjusts the pillow.

Adjust. Even the word now makes me shudder.

"Are you sure it's at 2?" I grumble putting my hands on my face.

She scoffs and turns to me, "I'm positive, I liked him once, so I always checked his in and out times."

I smirk and sigh, "When does he get home?"

"For God's sake! I had a crush, I wasn't a stalker!" Bailey cries, her face reddening.

I laugh to myself and close my eyes, "Angel, what time is it?"