Joey

I loved my dad but sometimes he was way too much of a hard-ass. I got that he grounded me for the cheating thing, but to make Elliott go live with his dad? That was over the top. I wondered whose idea it had been...Dad's or Pippa's.

I sat on Elliott's bed that Saturday, tearful, as I watched him pack some of his things. He had stuff at his dad's house, but most of his stuff was here. He was going to be there for a whole month. Elliott sighed as he stuffed a couple more shirts into his duffle bag. I stood up and walked to him, draping my arms around his middle.

"This isn't fair," I complained as we rested our foreheads together.

"I know," he agreed softly. "We'll find a way to see each other."

Maybe we were being dramatic, but after being together almost 24/7 for months, it was torturous to think about so much time apart. Our parents had done this to us and now they were tearing us apart.

"We'll call and text all the time," I decided. He nodded and we kissed softly until we heard a knock at the door. Pippa.

"You ready?" she asked Elliott. He sighed and kissed my cheek chastely. Elliott picked up his bag and I followed him out to the kitchen area. Dad was busy helping Alex with her lunch. I refused to look at him.

Pippa was apparently taking him to his dad's so they could all have a conversation about the situation. From what Elliott had said, his dad was pretty laid back but it seemed like Pippa was intent on making our lives miserable. She would force his dad to go along with this insanity.

Elliott gave me a last hug and a quick kiss before leaving with his mom. I couldn't hold back the tears from coming. I rushed back to my bedroom and slammed the door to let my dad know how pissed I was. How would he feel if someone was trying to keep him away from Pippa? The only difference was that I was a kid and we apparently weren't mature enough to have a proper relationship. Whatever.

A cried for a good ten minutes when I heard Dad knock at my door.

"Go away!" I yelled, but he opened the door anyway. He stood in the doorway, hands in his pockets.

"Why don't we go do something," he suggested. "Take your mind off things."

In response I turned around, facing the wall. I heard him walk over and then he sat on my bed.

"I know this seems unfair right now," he said softly. "But you two messed up big time. You understand that right?"

I didn't answer him and he sighed.

"Take a few minutes, then let's take the kids to the park," he suggested, then gave me a quick kiss on the head. Dad left and I grabbed my stuffed bunny, then hugged it to my chest.

I wallowed in my own self pity for a while, then Dad got sneaky. He sent Alex in to my room, knowing she would cheer me up and get me out of my room. I heard her little feet run across my floor and then she propelled herself onto my bed. She giggled and started jumping on my bed.

"Wet's go!" she demanded as she jumped. Despite my mood, I grinned and then grabbed her, pulling her down for a good tickle. She cackled and squirmed, then proceeded to climb on me. Alex was successful in getting me out of my funk. I found my shoes and walked out, holding her hand. Dad was finishing packing up a diaper bag.

"Want a soda?" he asked me and I nodded. He packed a Mountain Dew in the bag and pulled it onto his back. He chased down Jack and soon we were all out the door.

Alex talked to me excitedly, holding my hand as we walked to the park a few blocks down. If I thought I was just going to sit and play on my phone, I was mistaken. Alex wanted me to play with her. We started on the equipment. I followed her, the tallest person on the playground. We moved to the swings and I got her going.

Dad put Jack in one of the baby seats next to ours and started pushing him.

"Climb on," Dad told me, gesturing to the swing next to Alex. I grinned and got on the swing. I hadn't swung in forever. I leaned back and then started pumping my legs. My body remembered. Soon I was laughing along with Alex, as Dad alternated between pushing Alex and Jack. The sun was shining.

After the park, Dad capped things off by taking us for ice cream. It was like a dream afternoon for a kid and I almost forgot about my worries. That is until we got home and Pippa was there. Pippa, the conductor of this horrible orchestration.

"How was the park?" she asked us cheerfully.

Alex responded animatedly as Dad took Jack down the hall for a diaper change.

"Looks like you need a new shirt," she commented to Alex. She had ice cream all down the front of her top. "Joey, could you get her a new one real quick?"

I gave her an unfriendly look, but ushered Alex down the hallway to her bedroom. I opened her bureau drawers and found her a little pink top. I helped her out of her dirty top, threw it in the hamper, and pulled the fresh one over her head.

I needed a break from kid duty so I hung out in my room. I laid down on my back and played around on my phone for a while. Elliott and I texted back and forth a bit. We sent selfies of us looking miserable without each other.

Dinner was a couple hours later so I grudgingly joined the rest of the family at the table. The little kids always kept it busy and focused away from me.

"Alex, don't play with your food," Pippa gently chided her. Alex giggled and licked at her fingers. She had dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets. Who could blame her for playing a little with her food?

Pippa turned her attention to me. "Joey, I need to buy a couple tops for myself," she said. "Would you like to go with me tomorrow? Girls day?"

Usually, I wouldn't turn down a shopping trip, but I was still pissed at Dad and Pippa. "No thanks."

Dad and Pippa looked at each other.

"You sure?" she asked me.

"Yes, I'm sure," I said shortly, then took a sip of my water. I could feel Dad's eyes on me, warning me to take it easy, but I didn't give him the satisfaction.

Dinner continued and no one asked me any more questions thankfully. I wanted to disappear to my room but Dad told me to help with the dishes. I groaned but began rinsing dishes in the sink. After I'd done my job I disappeared straight to my room.

Half an hour later, Pippa was at my door, wanting to talk. I sighed and sat up reluctantly.

"Listen," she said, sitting on my bed. "I know you're upset with me right now, and that's okay."

Good. At least she understood she was on my bad side.

"I think you and Elliott are good for each other for the most part," she went on. "But I think some time apart won't hurt. It's only a month. Elliott can focus on getting his grades up and you can focus on yourself."

I didn't answer her. I had nothing to say. She cleared her throat a little uncomfortable.

"Anyways," she said. "If you change your mind about tomorrow let me know. I think it could be fun."

She offered me a small smile and then disappeared. I sighed and laid back down on my bed, fishing out my phone again. It was Saturday night, I was grounded, and my boyfriend was halfway across the city. Right now, life sucked.