Joey

I woke up in my bed at Dad's the next morning even though I was still supposed to be at mom's.  I got ready like normal and plopped myself at the breakfast table, the full weight of my mother's life decisions upon me.  Dad seemed to sense I had a lot on my mind so he just let me eat quietly while he got the little kids going.  Elliott kept trying to make eye contact with me but I wasn't in the mood.

I took my dish to the sink and Dad walked over to where I stood. 

"Are you ready to talk with your mom and me about what you want to do?" he asked quietly.  "Or do you need more time to think?"

"I'm ready," I said, rinsing out my dish.

"Okay," he said.  "Let's meet at your mom's this evening.  I'll come over when I'm done with work."

I nodded and he pressed a kiss to my forehead.  A few minutes later Dad handed me my sack lunch and I pulled on my overweight backpack.  I didn't want to talk about it with Elliott so I wandered away from him on the subway, putting my earbuds in.  He didn't pester me, knowing I needed space.

After school I went to my mom's like I was supposed to.  I went to my room with a snack and got started on my homework so I'd be done by the time Dad got here.  Mom knew I needed space as well so she didn't come try to talk to me.

After dinner I was in my room when I heard Dad's voice coming from the kitchen area.  I tiptoed to my door and opened it just a little so I could eavesdrop before they called me out.

"....she's a teenager, Clar.  She's got all her friends here.  Her whole life is here.  You can't ask her to give that up," I heard my dad say softly.

"Kids move all the time, Lin," my mom said back.  "It wouldn't be the end of the world."

"I'm just saying, if she chooses to stay here you're gonna have to be okay with it.  You can't get all passive-aggressive with her on it."

"When have I been passive-aggressive?"

"Ummm...our whole marriage?"

I didn't want to hear them fight about their marriage so I softly closed the door, rolling my eyes.  I'd heard enough of that when I was a kid.  I sat back down on my bed, picking at my nail polish while I waited.  Dad knocked on my door a few minutes later, then pushed the door open.

"Spic and span," he commented on my room, looking around.  He'd only been here a handful of times.  "Who'da thunk?"

I smirked a little and stood up, walking to the door.  Dad stepped to the side to let me through but I wrapped my arms around his middle.  I felt him rest his chin on top of my head.

"You okay?" he asked gently.  I shrugged.  "Don't worry.  We just wanna know what you think.  I know it's hard."

I pulled back and Dad studied my face.  I was frowning, not liking the situation at all.  We walked down the hall together, his hand on my shoulder in support.  Mom was already on the couch and we joined her.  I sat next to Dad and I saw Mom look down.

It was always a little odd when my parents were in the same room.  It didn't happen often.  My parents didn't hate each other luckily, like some divorced parents did.  They were perfectly civil and communicated about me constantly.  That didn't always work out great for me.

"Well, I formally accepted the job in Chicago today," Mom announced.  "I'm excited to go back to my hometown."

I nodded, looking down.  "Congratulations," Dad told her.  "That's a big promotion for you."

"Thanks," she smiled at us.  "Joey, how are you feeling about things?"

"I'm staying here," I announced without pausing.  Mom was silent for a few moments, taking in a breath.