Lin

Joey was moping around the next day, still milking her sympathy card for what Elliott and his friends had done to their soccer field.  They were all garnering support on social media, but there were arguments going on back and forth.  I saw that she was getting upset so I took her phone away for the day.  Social media made it so easy for kids to be mean to each other and I didn't want Joey having to worry constantly about that.  I powered her phone down and put it in my room.

It was killing her not to check her Twitter.  By mid-afternoon it was starting to get painful to watch.

"Daddy, please!" she begged me, curled up on the couch.  She'd bitten her nails down to the nubs and was incredibly tense.

"And what would it solve if I let you back on?" I posed, working on my laptop.

"I have to respond!" she insisted.  "People are gonna think I'm just giving up and I'm defeated.  I have to defend myself."

"No you do not," I countered.  "Responding is just going to keep it going and going.  Nothing good will come of you being on there all day."

"Mom would let me on," she told me under her breath.

"No she wouldn't," I countered.  If I'd banned her for the day, her mother would 100% back me up.  Plus, Clarita thought she was on her phone way too much anyways.  "You need to get ready for your meet don't you?"

It was almost 9:15 and we had to be there by 10:00.  She sighed and peeled herself off the couch.  Alex came running down the hall squealing.  I managed to move my laptop just in time before she jumped onto my lap.  I laughed and wrapped my arms around her, kissing the top of her head.

"What are you up to little bug?" I asked her as she squirmed around.

"Just pwayin'," she told me.

"Next weekend you're gonna go visit Grandma and Grandpa," I told her.

"Yayyy!" she exclaimed.  She'd been getting spoiled lately with gifts.  Everyone felt awful they were now orphans and they'd been showered with new toys.  I'm sure they'd come home with new things next weekend.  "Can I have ice cream?"

I chuckled at her boldness.  "No, you just had breakfast," I told her.  "Maybe if you're good all day you can have a scoop for dessert after dinner."

That seemed to please her.  She hopped off my lap and went off to play some more.  Pippa emerged from their room with Jack in her arms.  It was feeding time, so she got a bottle ready.  I finished getting ready myself and by 9:20 Joey and I were ready to go.

The debate competitions were fun to watch.  They were given topics on the spot to debate and took turns giving rebuttals.  It was great practice for the kids to think on their feet and think deeply.  Joey always shone at competitions.  She was so much like her mother - always ready for an argument and very persuasive.  She decimated her opponent and won points for her team.

After the competition I hugged her proudly and hung around talking with the other parents for a few minutes.  They complimented Joey, making me a very proud dad.  I noticed her off in the corner with a couple other kids from her school, whispering and looking suspicious.  I began to walk over, trying to signal it was time to go.

"Alright, bye guys," my daughter told the group.  They all waved goodbye and we walked out of the auditorium into the Fall sunlight.  She sighed happily as we walked down the steps to the street.

"You rocked, kiddo," I told her as we walked towards the subway.

"Thanks," she said confidently.  "I'm thinking I might make a good lawyer someday."