Oh Sehun: The Window Across [Part 1]

A new habit I got is the habit of looking at you

I can’t take my eyes off of you, I can’t help it

- Pretty by B1A4

The Window Across

The usual quiet and peace greeted Hana when she came home from school that afternoon. She knew her parents were still at work so she welcomed herself to the empty house. She dropped by the kitchen for a glass of water and drank it slowly. The silence used to be eerie for her when she was younger but she was used to it by now. Without further ado, she made her way upstairs to her room.

Her family was pretty much well-off with her parents both working; her needs and wants given to her as she pleased. The only thing that was expected of her was to be the perfect daughter – with the best grades, proper attitude and obedience to her parents. People admired her because of this and they thought Hana had a perfect life. But no one really knew how Hana truly felt about it.

Upon entering her room, Hana changed into her casual clothes and started doing homework that was assigned by her professors for that day. Sitting on her study table, the hours passed by as her pen neatly wrote on the pieces of paper.

She was in the middle of finishing her paper on Physics when she heard a loud crash from outside her window, causing her to jump a little from her seat. Frowning, Hana lifted up her face from the paperwork and turned towards the large window on her left. The glass window was large that she could even fit in but she didn’t visit it too often since it was directly facing an equally large window on their neighbor’s room. She hated the fact that the houses there were pretty close to each other but she didn’t mind it in the past years because the house next to them was rented and no one really stayed for a very long time.

However, judging from the obnoxiously loud yet indistinct shouting, slamming of doors and sounds of breaking glass, she was more than sure that she had a new neighbor. Hoping that no one stayed in the room across hers, Hana got up to close the curtains before resuming her paperwork, but now with headphones on.

-

“There’s a new family that moved to the house next to ours.” Hana’s mother pointed out one evening while they were having dinner. She could sense her mother fighting off a sneer as she said it. “It’s been a week but they haven’t knocked on our door to properly introduce their selves yet.”

“I don’t like it, even if they did.” Her father commented sternly. “They’re pretty loud even at night, with all the shouting. They seem like uncivilized individuals.”

“I hope they’re not getting in the way of your studying, Hana, my dear. Your room is directly facing them. If they do, we’ll call the attention of the authorities right away.” Her mother suddenly said.

“It’s alright, Mother. The room across mine seems quiet and unoccupied. I just block the other noise with my headphones. Don’t worry.” Hana voiced out.

“But do tell us if you can’t bear it anymore. Your grades matter the most. You’ve done well on your first year in college but you have to be the best this time. There are already a lot of big companies looking out for exceptional students like yourself. We can’t let that new family ruin it for you.” Hana’s father added.