Zhang Yixing: A Silent Melody

In the place where we were together
In those moments where we could’ve walked together
I’m holding onto myself alone
In this place, even our future, my wishes have stopped
I’m standing here and you are gone

- Gone by Jin

A Silent Melody

It was the fourth day that Min heard music playing from the adjacent hallway. And like the first day, she followed the source, passing by the familiar white walls of the place. It was the part of the building where visitors usually waited. Right now, early in the morning, there were still no people around.

She stopped by in front of that same room. There was a large window near the door that allowed her to see what was happening inside. There was a grand piano in the middle of the room. A young man was playing that same melody from the first day she heard it. She could only see his side profile from the place she was peeking in. She quietly listened in, until he stopped to look at her direction.

Min moved back to conceal herself from him, hoping that he didn’t see her. Her heart was pounding against her chest because she felt like a criminal getting caught in the act. She was tiptoeing back to her aunt’s office when the door suddenly opened and she knew the young man went out to catch her.

She quickened her pace but she stopped when he called out. “Hey.”

Mentally scolding herself for being the curious girl that she was, she slowly turned around. She clutched the notebook she was holding tighter on her chest and hoped that he wasn’t mad for sneaking around. Soon enough, she was face to face with the young man. He was slightly taller than her, his dark brown hair a bit unruly and his eyes had that gentle look on them but it sparked with curiosity. He tilted his head and gave her a small smile, instantly revealing a deep dimple on his right cheek. “You like me, don’t you?”

Min’s eyes widened at his bold question. How could he say that to someone he’s meeting for the first time? Seeing her reaction, he let out a chuckle. “I’m sorry. I was just kidding. I’m Yixing. And you are?”

She blinked at him. He sure was going at a fast pace with things. She saw that he was waiting for her answer so she quickly let him know her name. He looked surprised when she answered, but quickly recovered after remembering that he was at that place after all. He showed her a smile. “You have a nice name. I apologize for that first question. It was just that you’ve always been watching me since I started playing here.”

She blushed; embarrassed that he knew all the time that she was lurking around like a creep. She said that she just got curious because it was the first time she heard the piano being played at the place. She also told him that he was skilled in playing.

“Really? Gee, thanks.” He rubbed his neck shyly. “I just got here last week. I was roaming around until I discovered the piano a few days ago. I don’t have much to do so I took the chance to play some music.”

Min just nodded as he explained. She wasn’t really good at communicating with people.

“Would you.. like to hear me play? You don’t have to watch me outside anymore.” He playfully smiled at her. She nodded once and then they went back inside the room.