19.

"I want to know how he did it," Fred mutters to George, the pair hogging the couch closest to the fire. Whispers fill the Gryffindor common room, everyone on edge.

"Of course the Chosen One mysteriously gets called from the competition," Seamus openly states to Dean from across the room, earning him several glares and some nods.

Standing by Hermione's side, she intently watches the door for Harry to walk through. Ron has long since disappeared, who spent the duration of our journey to their common room complaining about his best friend and apologizing profusely for the silent treatment he gave me. I kept trying to ask what it specifically was about, but he wouldn't listen long enough before ranting once more.

The door opens, and near everyone's head turns to see a disheveled Harry walk through the door. His eyes land on Hermione first, and then me. Though I initially tense up with worry, relief washes over his features and he rushes towards us, ignoring the bombardment of questions the other Gryffindor's are throwing at him.

"Lanae, I am so sorry," He breathes, grabbing at my body in a tight hug. I look over at Hermione, but she holds her hands up, clearly not understanding either.

"What happened? What did Dumbledore say?"

"You forgive me?" He interrupts, evidently having other priorities other than the fact he is now a Triwizard competitor.

"Harry," I roll my eyes and laugh. "I forgave you the moment it all happened. I just wanted my friends back."

"Well in that case, we've got a lot to catch up on."

---

The girls' dormitory is completely silent, though I wouldn't expect anything less with how early it is. Trying to be as quiet as possible so Pansy doesn't wake up in her typical grouchy self, I slip my tie on and head out of the dungeons.

Light is just now shining through the castle's windows, emitting a gorgeous pattern onto the stone walls and ground. Aside from the small amount of seventh years already drowned in homework and professor Trelawney, the Great Hall is nearly empty. The Beaubatons girls are clumped together, with some of the Durmstrang men flirting up a storm, but they all remain quiet. Just as I hoped the hall would be. This year, I decided to spend more time to myself, seeing as in the past I've been swept up into some adventure with either Harry or now Draco. French toast appears in front of me, and I grin while opening an almost finished book.

"Доброе утро, принцесса." Nikolai's charming voice interrupts me from the page, and though I could listen to him speak all day, I hold up a finger near his face to keep him quiet. He obeys, with the exception of a small chuckle.

Not breaking contact from the book, I continue to roam the page furiously, soaking in each word Chbosky wrote. Finally reaching the last sentence, I sigh in happiness, closing the book and setting it by my side. My eyes close, trying to move on from the emotion the novel brought and then ripped away. Books are such a terribly beautiful thing.

"I hope you know I don't speak Russian," I respond to Nikolai, his wide smile causing me to blush.

"No matter, I simply said good morning. Do you always do this? Wake up before everyone else just to be by yourself?"

"Only starting this year. It keeps me from fully being swept away with all this magic; else returning to reality would prove to be much more difficult."

"You are far different from any girl I've ever met."

"Well I hope that's a good thing," I laugh, averting my eyes from his intense gaze.

"It is a very good thing. What is your class this morning?"

"Defense against the dark arts."

"I've heard professor Moody is a tad... blunt," Nikolai replies, trying to be as nice as possible. But he's not wrong; Fred and George both swear they were jinxed twice. However, I wouldn't put it past any professor to put the twins in their place.