7.

"Even though this... dance is meant for fun purposes, I expect every member of the Slytherin house to be on your upmost behavior."

Giggles erupt throughout the room at Snape's comment. Girls eye one another, knowing very well the ulterior motives to the evening. Guys make it a little less inconspicuous, openly elbowing one another and whooping obnoxiously.

"Silence," Professor Snape exclaims, and everyone obeys.  "As I was saying before you blithering idiots allowed hormones to come forth- there will be one dance before the event actually commences. The first dance will be of each Prefect from all four houses, the girl and boy from the same house dancing with one another; despite who they bring as a date. Afterwards it does not matter. Now, you all must learn this dance because after three chords, everyone will join in on the waltz."

The occasional guy groans, and to be completely honest, I'm groaning along with them. As much as I love dancing, I really don't. It's like I have got two left feet that just won't cooperate one bit. Another reason why I love having Harry as a date because he is not too fond of the idea either, yet we are going simply for the experience.

"Seeing as Miss Foster is ill today, I cannot use a Prefect to teach you all. Instead, I'll be using one of other ladies in this house."

Immediately, some girls shrink back, while others move forward eagerly. It's easy to separate the petrified ones from the enthusiastic bunch. I lean back in my chair, using the boots to balance myself from falling over, while picking at one of my fingernails aimlessly. In all honesty, I could care less about the dance he will teach us; it's not like I will be any good at it anyways.

Across the room, Draco points from himself to me and repeats the action several times. I think he's asking if we can be partners for the lesson. I peek a glance over at Pansy, who is staring at Draco with such intensity you'd think he would be melting right now. Sighing heavily, I look back to him and nod.

"You dunderheads can calm yourselves. I chose a partner for this previous to the announcement of your Prefect's illness. Miss Jones, come here." I hear my name called, which pulls me from the ever growing boredom. Everyone in the room is either snickering, or looking confused as to why he called me. Even I don't know why I was chosen. "Miss Jones, are you going to continue sitting there like an incompetent fool, or get up and actually dance with me?" He asks, and my eyes widen in shock.

He must have planned this. Oh how I am in for it now. Shaking lightly, whether from anger or nerves, I leave my seat and meet him in the middle of the makeshift dancefloor. As soon as I am face to face with Severus, I make sure he notices my vehement glare. But his only reply is a delicate smirk, before the music starts up. It is a Beethoven ballad, and I instantly recognize it as Moonlight Sonata, one of his most famous pieces.

We circle each other, our gaze remains locked. He finally places his hand on the small of my back, my hand on his shoulder, and our free hands blindly meet. I let out a small breath of anxiety, and he begins to pull me along with the music. He guides me across the empty space of the room, our eyes remaining locked and our feet in perfect sync to the beating of my racing heart. As the song progressed I become more relaxed, and allow a small smile to form on my lips. Severus notices this, and while he doesn't smile in return, the sparkle in his eyes appear. That simple validation of his emotions is quite possibly the thing I have come to love most this year.

The contact feels strange, almost alien as I haven't had contact with him in days; physically or mentally. But I comprehend the reason I am dancing with him, and suddenly become stiffer with the movements. This is wrong, and I am only being further pulled into an abyss that I can possibly not get out of. Realizing my worries, his arm gently moves up my back and wraps itself around my waist, and when I refuse to close the growing proximity between us, his grip tightens until we are pressed against one another. Breathing out what little air is occupied in my lungs, he pulls me further into the dance and I try to keep up with him. It feels like a never-ending moment, as if I am helplessly trapped beneath his power; a robot obeying its masters commands. I wait for the inevitable stepping on him, or tripping and losing balance, but it never comes.

He turns us around elegantly, his body in tune with the slow yet beautiful music. Yet, there is still a sort of harshness to him, as if he still emanates someone who shouldn't be underestimated. I don't quite care at the moment, because it is beguiling all the same. Just as he has always been to me. The warmth between us grows more powerful by the second, though I am positive it is just my sweating from nerves. While he did pull me closer to him, it's just far enough that over the course of the dance we drift apart just so that I can brush against him, but no more than that. The lack of contact, yet contact all the same, is driving me to near insanity, and confuses my mind even more so. He did it on purpose, I am near certain, and he must notice my realization because of his growing smirk. While he does tower over me, I make sure he sees my scowl, yet that doesn't seem to deter him at all.

Dancing with Severus is quite possibly the most natural thing I have ever done, and that terrifies me more than anything. The dance proves to be quite simple, and I have no struggle with keeping up to the music. I'm fairly sure it is just because he's a wonderful dancer; which surprises me even more. He is so gentle that it feels like walking on a cloud, and it is honestly enchanting having to look at him the entire time. You can see the evident fury and betrayal from his gaze, but beneath that he seems unbelievably transfixed on keeping our eye contact.

"I don't appreciate your avoiding me, Lanae," He mutters as lowly as possible. The attempt isn't necessary though, as the music is so prominent within the room that no one could hear him even if they wanted to. "That being said, I apologize for my unruly manner. It was far from appropriate."

Severus suddenly lets go of my waist, and using his hand that is currently tangled in mine, I am twirled out of his grasp. It happens so unexpectedly that I have to catch my breath when the motion stops for a moment. Draco smirks haughtily, which causes me to roll my eyes. Of course he is enjoying this unruly scenario. Before I can comprehend it, I am snaked back into his arms and my free hand lands in the center of his chest. We both pause for a moment, and his face is just inches from mine; irrevocably taunting both of us. One student wolf whistles, which breaks the spell, and Severus hurriedly dances with the music once more. We continue to move leisurely and Severus dips me lowly to the ground, then swoops me back up against him. I am not certain if that is even part of the dance, but then again, I don't know the first thing about what is happening right now. He keeps his eyes trained on me, yet still, he knows exactly where to take me. Every moment, every angle seems to have been planned in advanced. Nothing feels forced; and much against my will, I fall comfortably with him once more.

"Sir," I whisper, "everyone is looking at us."

He squeezes my hand slightly and smiles mockingly whilst laughing. "Really? I haven't noticed."

That was when I decided to let go. Let my worries, my anger and fear go. Right here, right now is what I am living. I allow Severus to take me anywhere he pleased on this dance floor. He went right, I went right. He sped up, I sped up. We become one with the song, with the dance and with each other. It's a feeling unlike any other, and while the impeccable doom that will occur when the song ends looms over me, I can't help but push it aside. For once, I feel like I belong in something that I never have to try for. But as all things have a beginning, there is an end as well. Mozart stops playing and Severus halts in the middle of the room where we began. For a split second, the only sound I can hear are our racing hearts and exhausted pants.

Everyone stands up from their chairs and claps politely, which fills my ears where the absence from the music or his breath against me now lays. This is wrong; so unbelievably immoral on many levels, and my mind can't even begin to fathom what to do. The absence of his body warmth makes the dungeon feel even colder than before. The applause becomes deafening, and I feel the walls closing in around me; an ultimate trap. Looking over to Snape, who glances at me before talking with a student, I feel like a mouse in a cage. The realization of what I have gotten myself into settles. So, I walk out of the room as fast as I possibly can.

---

I must admit, writing dance scenes is one of my most favorite things ever...

Please remember:

vote

comment

and read!