8.

Professor Snape,

I apologize it is of such late notice, however I won't be at our lessons tonight, as it is the school dance. Furthermore, I don't think it is too appropriate to continue them anyways. I will be talking to Headmaster Dumbledore about it.

Lanae

I glower at the short note disdainfully, feeling a surge of guilt despite the definite relief. It's been three days since the dance, something I just can't get out of my head. There's no point in even talking to Dumbledore about this though, I know very well that I can't skip those lessons. It doesn't matter how uncomfortable I am around Snape, I need to learn the Patronous charm. More importantly, why my fear is clouded from what I suspect to be that one night Snape has yet to uncover.

Attaching the note to Harry's owl Hedwig, she flies out of the miniature window in my dorm, and I watch her until she disappears. Sighing heavily, I go through a mental checklist of all I have to do today. One; get a date for Pansy so Draco can get off my back. Two; talk to Headmaster Dumbledore. I can guarantee that man knows more about Severus and me than both of us combined do. And lastly; I still need to find a dress for the masquerade party that is less than eight hours away. This shouldn't be too hard at all.

Pulling Snape's cloak around my body, I rush out of the Slytherin common room. There isn't any point in returning the cloak now I figure, and it shouldn't be a big matter as he hasn't asked about it. My first stop will be Dumbledore, as I am sure he will be the briefest of meetings. Harry idolizes the man for some reason; though I can't comprehend why as I have spoken all of two words to him before.

"Lemon drops," I speak to his gargoyle. It jumps aside, revealing a spiral staircase made completely of white marble. I skip every other step, and quickly reach a door that is as tall and grand as the Hogwarts entrance itself. Instead of marble, it seems to be some form of rustic wood, though it sparkles lightly from the sunlight hitting the top half. Knocking politely, I push it open and walk in to quite possibly the most magnificent office of all time.

"Good afternoon Lanae, I was wondering when I would be seeing you," He greets, standing up from his chair to shake my hand. "What brings you here on such a boisterous day?"

"Sir, I believe you already know the reason why," I reply, taking in every inch of his office. It truly is a striking abode, and I suspect he has more books than even our library does.

"Well, of course I do. However, I don't like to pry on what has yet been spoken of."

"Oh, so professor Snape hasn't come up here yet?"

"No, dear. In fact, I believe he is arriving in just a few moments."

Right on cue, the Headmaster's door opens once more, and in comes swooping the very last person I wish to see today. Snape's eyes are blazing with fury, and the note I sent him is balled up inside his fist.

"Care to tell me the meaning of this?" He relates, and I bite back my growing frustrations.

"Now Severus, I'm sure we can talk about this in a calmer matter."

"Sir, I'm just going to go. If that's alright with you..." I mutter. He nods his head understandingly, which is my cue to get the hell out of this office as fast as possible. Closing the door behind me, I'm about to sprint down the stairs when a different idea comes to mind. I wonder what those two are conversing about now. Leaning my head against the door as quietly as possible, I stay still so I can strain to hear. That doesn't seem to be necessary though, because I hear the two as much, if not more, than I could before.

"I am done with teaching her Albus! She is ungrateful, she is a nuisance, she can't get anything right, she is almost worse than Potter, and she-"

"Is confused about her feelings?" Dumbledore calmly interrupts. "It appears you are as well."