11.

"His class has been surprisingly boring now, do you really think today will be any different?" Ron asks.

"He was simply going over the basics, Ronald. It's his first time teaching and Hagrid wants to do it right. Besides, you know it will be interesting since these monstrosities are required today," Hermione replies, holding up the Monster Book of Monster Facts in the air by a belt.

We join the crowd of students, who are currently gaping at something. Pushing ourselves to the front, I now understand what all the commotion is about. Hagrid stands proudly, next to a giant... centaur-with-wings type creature.

"Hagrid, what is that?" I inquire, catching Harry's hand as he pulls me backwards. The motion causes me to fall into his arms, which I think was his plan as he walks backwards away from the creature.

"Thank yer for asking, Lanae. This here is a Hippogriff," Hagrid replies merrily, stroking it's feathers softly. "His name is Buckbeak."

"Looks more like Potter to me," Draco spits, which earns him glares from all of us.

"Shove off Malfoy," Ron bites, but that only results in him rolling his eyes. Quickly, Draco's smirk is wiped off by a throng of fear as he points at the sky frantically.

"Dementor, dementors!" The entire class whips around, some moving away to seek shelter. I search everywhere for the demons, yet find nothing. When I follow Draco's direction exactly, there's nothing but an unblemished, azure sky.

Whipping back around, his gang have pulled up the hoods from the cloak, making what they believe to be scary noises. All of the students look mad, especially Harry who is particularly livid. I turn to get help from Hagrid, but our teacher is currently too warped in his pet to notice what's going on.

"Draco, I suggest keeping to your self before I shove-"

"Well then!" Hagrid hurriedly interrupts, clapping his hands. "Who wants a go on Buckbeak?" I stand glued to my spot, and his eyes twinkle merrily.

"Thank you for volunteering Lanae, come on over."

My eyes widen at the announcement, and I turn around to see the entire class has backed away significantly; even Harry. What a traitor. But I obey the command, my legs feeling like jelly as the creature stares at me intently.

"Now, bow before Buckbeak. Make sure ter keep eye contact and do not move a muscle. If he likes yer then you'll get to pet 'em."

"What happens if I move?" I ask warily. Hagrid's face immediately slacks his cheerfulness and I groan internally.

My back reclines slowly and rigidly as I conform my body to Hagrid's wishes. At the reaction of a squeal from Buckbeak, my mind scrambles to look directly at him. The direct eye contact seems to last forever, and I eventually hold my breath in fear.

Buckbeak then ducks his head under mine, and I'm startled from the sudden movement. His feathers are unnaturally soft underneath my chin to where it tickles just slightly. But Hagrid breaks the moment from his booming voice.

"Looks like we've skipped the gentle interaction! Buckbeak sees you two as equals!" The class claps hesitantly and I take that as my queue to finally walk away. But just as I take my first step, Hagrid's large hands grab my by the waist and I'm unwillingly hoisted on top of this animal's back.

"Oh, Hagrid no I really am fine just-"

"Nonsense Lanae, he likes yer! Now Buckbeak, go take our student for a ride around the castle."

Buckbeak nods his head happily, and before I can object, his wings are flapping heavily against the gentle breeze. I fling my arms around his neck and watch as the students become smaller. I'm flown across the empty grounds, over the Forbidden Forest, and then above the Black Lake. Water sprays me from how close we are touching, which causes me to laugh nervously.

"We can go back now!" I shout, yet the only response I get is the shake of his head.

I'm then abruptly taken higher into the air, and around the castle. It seems most everyone is in class, though the few that are just lingering in halls become slack mouthed as I pass. The ride becomes more enjoyable for me, and I loosen my grip which I think Buckbeak is happy about. He gently glides back down to the front gates of the castle, and eventually touches the ground.

I assume this is where Hagrid wanted he students to be dropped off at, so I clumsily step down from Buckbeak's back and turn to face him.

"Thank you for the ride, it was wonderful," I breathe gaily, softly stroking his feathers on one wing. Buckbeak makes a weird noise, and quickly takes off back into the air and over to the rest of the class.

Well what do I do now?

Pulling my cloak further around my body, I turn around to walk through the doors. But standing a few feet in front of the entrance, is professor Snape. My eyebrows furrow together, puzzled by his presence. Doesn't he have a class to teach currently?

"Miss Jones, I need you to come with me this instant." His tone is clipped yet fearful, and I quickly follow his trail inside the castle.

My legs burn as he walks at an unnaturally fast speed, but I manage to keep up despite my lack of being in shape. We eventually come to a gargoyle that I know all too well; Headmaster Dumbledore's office. Whatever needs to be discussed cannot be good.

---

Hello readers!

I apologize for this chapter being a filler, but it had to be in order to bring the next one some excitement. (There's going to be a big reveal next time (; )

Ecstasy is doing astoundingly well with all of these reads and I love every single one of you! Pretty soon I'll start doing dedication chapters because there are a few readers on here that stand out more than anything. I hope you guys liked this!

Remember to vote,

comment,

and continue reading!

-Kaitlyn