17.

"How was the south?" Draco mutters as Dumbledore greets all of the newly sorted first years.

"As normal as it always is," I reply, looking up at the teacher's table, gaze locked with Severus. The white attire I had hoped would make an appearance has vanished, replaced with what creates his facade of a bat-like demeanor. He refuses to drop the stare, and I inevitably have to before someone else catches on. "How was summer with your family?"

"Perfectly ordinary as well," Draco mutters. It's amazing how good of friends we've become, yet we hide secrets from one another near all the time. But neither of us bugs the other about whatever is going on unless it's serious, which might be why we get on so well.

"And now, I have a few announcements to make. First, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor will be none other than Alastor Moody." A large, dirty man with a glass eye steps forward, instantly causing me to shiver. He doesn't seem like the friendliest of types.

"Moody is an auror. One of the greats," Draco explains as the new teacher steps back to his chair, taking a swig of something in a tin. The clapping dies down, and everyone awaits what other news is about to be said.

"This year, Hogwarts will play host to the Triwizard Tournament," Dumbledore announces and excited shouts explode inside the Great Hall. Before I can ask Draco what that even is, Dumbledore clears the air. "The tournament contains three magical tasks, very dangerous tasks. Believe me when I say, this competition is not for the faint at heart. Whoever wins the game will hold an eternity of glory, and the Triwizard Cup." A tarp is thrown off next to him, revealing a beautifully constructed glowing trophy. The Weasley's across from me cheer and whisper, no doubt planning on being the first ones to enter.

"You should go for that, Lanae," Draco smirks.

"And just when I thought we were becoming friends."

"Since we are playing host, two other schools will be visiting for the duration of the competition. Please welcome Beauxbatons Academy." The Great Hall doors creak open, and in prances a cluster of girls clad in baby blue. Their uniforms are much cuter than ours, but the hats look like something out of a cheaply funded movie.

As they walk, the girls seems to sigh and actual birds fly out from beneath their ballerina-like poses. You can plainly see our boys falling head over heels with each one, causing me to roll my eyes. Draco actually seems less than pleased, instead picking at a stray thread on my cardigan. A quick glance at Harry proves he's in the exact opposite position, instead drooling right along with Ron. Hermione looks at me, rolling her eyes and proceeding to hit the pair with her book. Trying to remain inconspicuous, I make sure my bangs cover my eyes and look over at Severus. But his gaze is already locked on me, the most delicate of smirks playing on his lips as he knows very well why I'm focusing on him.

You've nothing to worry about, a voice speaks in my head, causing me to jump in surprise. His smirk grows even more. Of course he's now figured a way to get inside my brain, quite literally. What a lovely surprise.

"And now, the men from Durmstrang." It appears we're the only wizard school with both genders, because the Russian boys strut in as if they are too high and mighty to be here. Their performance is much cooler than the pansies, but the sticks lit with fire leave marks on the stone ground. It's the girls turn to swoon over fresh meat, and the guests seemingly enjoy all of the attention.

A boy in the back, next to Viktor Krum, catches my eye. His hair is short, brown and curled perfectly, a fur coat adorning his evidently strong features. As he walks, his eyes follow me, causing a blush to appear. When the boys sit down, he nods his head ever so slightly, and my awestruck spell is broken when Draco elbows me in the gut.