Chapter 14

Chapter 14

1 week later…

We had almost reached our point destination, and had not found one single threat on the way, not even a trace. But I would not let me or the group to relax, I could not explain it but I had a feeling that something was not quite right… we were as deep into the forest as one could be, there was no nearby cities or even small towns. It was peaceful, except from the bad feeling in my very bones that is… Wool and the boys had been good the whole way and I felt alright, though tired but the nausea had started to wear off. The end of our destination was a few kilometers ahead, and I insisted on walking there, since I could not smell the ground properly from Wools back. Of course this slowed us down, but the boys understood my wanting being thorough, and followed my lead; checking possible tracks and sniffing for scents. After an hour or so I was dead tired and was just about to climb up onto Wool again, but then I felt it. A chill, something in my gut telling me that something bad was coming. I sniffed the air and immediately smelt the, for now, faint stench of rut in the wind reaching us. I told the boys through our min link to be ready as we progressed very carefully so we did not make a sound. I had my bow ready, and Wool was right behind me if I had to get onto his back fast. The stench was getting stronger, and I could tell it was not from a single beast, but many. And from what I could tell, it smelled like ingrained…like they had been holding up there for quite some time, which made me even more alert. What we later came to find made both frustrated and worried; a cave opening.

*I want Bowser, Creg, Osban and Vane to stand back behind these bushes, be ready. Tio, Raul, Wool and I will check the opening out. Don’t make a sound and be sure to smell everything, we want to know how many are down there and how fresh the latest tracks are.*. Without further notice I started walking slowly towards the cave, ears and nose on high alert and with my eyes fixed on the large stone opening. It was calm and quiet, although Domina could hear something…like screaming but too far off down into the cave to really be able to hear anything. I held onto my bow but had not yet raised an arrow to its string. Almost there I slow down my steps even further and reach for an arrow in the case, but quickly gasp as I cut my finger on the sharp edge. Why the hell are the edges facing up?! I’m irritated as I reach down my arm into the case to grab the right part of the arrow (which should be the one facing upwards!). The pain does not hit right away, only the sound of shatter and a kind of “cling”. Then the feeling kicks me hard, it feels like putting your hand down to a pack of piranhas, like my hand is being ripped apart and stabbed by a hundred needles. But I do not scream. I shut my eyes closed as I in a swift move jump to the left, so I’m not facing the very opening of the cave. My hand is burning and I slowly pull it out of the case, opening my eyes and feeling my heart stop beating. Wool, Tio and Raul are quickly by my side, they all just stare in pure horror and Wool don’t even try to hide the tears streaming down his furry face. The blood, my blood…is streaming too, but down my arm and from my hand. It looks like taken from a horror movie, my hand looks chewed on and are full of deep, nasty cuts. What caused this is immediately clear, since there are still sharps of broken glass pierced into my hand. Seeing that all the other were in chock, not able to move I hold my hand high and start pulling out the remaining pieces of glass. It’s nearly unbearably painful, and I have to clench my teeth to keep quiet. So I stop for a second to call out to the group to retreat. Bowser stomps up to me and helps me up onto my feet. I grab a hold on his fur and together we run. After a few kilometers I’m too light headed to keep on running, so I let go of Bowser and sit down onto the soft mossy forest floor. I have lost a lot of blood, why haven’t it healed yet? My hand reek of the sharp blood scent, but there is a familiar tone to it, and I’m almost too afraid to say it out loud…