Chapter 21

Hey! I know it's been a looooong time, but you know, life can be a bitch... so I haven't had much energy for writing. I hope you all understand and continue to comment and vote!

So here we go!

Love,

SharpThorn

Chapter 21

Two days later Amanda and Lilly stood in the kitchen cooking dinner as usual. The rest of us, being Arks, Morse, Wool and I, sat in the living room watching another action movie. My head was pounding and my heart was aching, there was a strange and tense silence in the pack house. My thoughts were on Donovan, my father and Brett…my wolf was sad and pained by the knowledge that our mate was on his way to a battle without our protection. I had no lack of trust in Donovan, but I just wanted to be there and have his back.

“Why the fuck is he going into that house for?!!” Morse roared and gestured at the big screen “He KNOWS they’re there! Damn idiots those humans!!” His outburst got silenced by Arks elbowing him in the side. He huffed and sat back again, but with a serious scowl on his face.

I was in a daze, couldn’t enjoy the movie but would not prefer the still mocking loneliness of my…our…bedroom. I was surprised by the magnitude of grief being the result of being left behind by my mate. Even though even I could see that I would have been a deadly distraction for many, if not just Donovan, it still felt so wrong…

Wool had been trying to cheer me up, bless him. He got me ice cream in all flavors imaginable, took me on walks outside carrying me as long as I wanted, read to me and even let me watch these action and horror movies that I knew scared him. I don’t know what I would’ve done without him, and especially considering he’s the only one in the house I’m sure doesn’t want me dead. It really is taking its toll on me and the doctor keeps reminding me of this very fact.

Every day he visits me, checking both mine and the baby’s heartbeats and so on. He’s not happy and I know it, the baby is still stressed as am I. He often asks me why but I can’t tell him the real reason, of my suspicions. So I blame the mating bond, which is not a total lie after all… He means well but all this nagging and constant reminder that I’m may be harming my baby by not keeping calm is getting to me. His every visit ends with me either throwing various hard objects at him, or me crying hysterically so Wool have to get Dr. Coffing out of the room and then get Amanda to calm me down like the mother hen that she is. Sometimes I think I’m going to break down, like I am this person trying to move a large boulder but as I lift it realize that It’s to heavy and is going to fall down on me. 

So here I am, watching a movie and trying to stay sane. Everyone had been avoiding me, accept for Wool and Amanda. Both Arks and Morse acts like I’m made out of wolfsbane, and when I cry they are out of the house in less than a second. Lilly is her usual shy self, sneaks along the walls and I hardly ever see or hear her.

“Why are you called ‘Morse’,” Wool asked him “is that even a real name?“ Morse snorted and then answered.
“And this comes from a toothpick called ‘Wool’, what the hell is up with that?” This was followed by a few seconds of silence, and then Amanda broke it by announcing that the dinner was ready. We all went to the average sized dinner table in the kitchen and ate without speaking. Occasionally Wool complimented the food or told a joke, but it was a lost cause. I ate slowly, forcing my body to chew and accept the little bits of meat and potatoes I managed to eat. Morse and Arks didn’t seem so disturbed by the tension, but ate in their normal, bad mannered way rarely using the knife and fork.

Amanda was smiling at me, watching me and sometimes stretched out a hand to lay on my belly. I smiled back and felt a little better, I always did when I thought of my and Donovan’s baby, soon to be in my arms. It was a strange but powerful process being pregnant, feeling the small but oh so precious life within you, feeling him or her move when hearing your voice… Donovan had made it his nightly routine to lay in the bed and talk soothingly direct to my belly, while gently stroking it and speaking of how they would play and of all the things Donovan would teach him or her. All the while I cried my happy tears and felt our child move like he or she was dancing to his or her father’s deep rumbling voice. I loved these moments as much as Donovan did, and now I missed them terribly.

We had heard from them every night through the satellite phone which they carried with them. They were on the move, tracking and hadn’t found anything yet. I felt Donovan’s longing for me through our bond and it felt nice to know that I wasn’t alone in my agony. At the same time I was scared that it would become a distraction, but I had faith in my man and that he would return to me. I really hoped that the baby would wait until he was home again, the thought of giving birth without my mate by my side actually scared me. Especially in these conditions, alone in a house with only one whom I could surely trust. A woman giving birth is as defenseless as could be, and without a strong mate to protect and comfort her there were extreme risks of being attacked or in other ways in danger. All I could do was to bide my time and cling to the hope of Donovan’s safe and soon to be return.

One whole week had passed, and I was near to bursting I was so huge. But nothing had happened yet and even though I longed for it to be over, I was glad since I wanted Donovan back before the birth. Amanda had gotten almost obsessed with my, or more exact my baby’s, wellbeing. It had gotten to the point of me using my alpha voice to get her out of my room when she insisted of assisting me to and then wiping me after I used the bathroom… I couldn’t take it anymore, even though I knew she meant well.

I hadn’t seen Lilly at all the last three days, after an incident where I had asked her how she was and she started crying like I had struck her. I was dumbstruck and could not for the life of me see what was going on with her. I had even asked Wool to talk to her but she had started to avoid him to. And as if that wasn’t weird enough, both Arks and Morse had behaved really strange lately too. Both easily agitated, drowsing as soon as they sat down and drinking so much water I was getting scared they would drown themselves. So I kept Wool close to me, and considering that I had my food poisoned a few months back, he insisted on tasting all my food before I ate it. Wool himself, much to Amanda’s dislike, had it in his head that if he sat down to eat, it would be a distraction. So he had lived on a diet of portioned yoghurt, pudding and water which he ate standing guard by windows and by my side.

Arks and Morse were supposed to be taking care of guard duty, but since they already were dead on their feet I told them to take up on some well needed sleep. Wool and I sat in the living room and Amanda was fixing me some fruit to eat while she massaged my back, jeeze… Lilly was cleaning the upstairs floors, all the while sobbing her heart out. I sighed and tried to enjoy the backrub while listening to the tunes of Wool’s videogame.

I hadn’t been outside for a few days, Amanda said I shouldn’t go out this close to the birth. Though I was getting crazed and needed…well, air! She wouldn’t even open the windows! So when she were off to bed (which she never did before me now days), I had Wool carry me outside onto the large balcony on the end of the hall. I inhaled deeply a few times, as to replace the air in my lungs and I heard Wool do the same. None of us spoke, and I was still in his arms. He was getting stronger and stronger, I noticed. When I got here he was really thin all over, but now he had some muscles showing and must have gained some considerable height too. Wool was slowly becoming a man, I thought.

The wind was coming from the south, and we were at the side of the house facing the west. I smelled the lovely scents of pine trees, grass and from a distance, even water from a lake. It was a quiet night, not much noise. Not even animals now when I thought about it. Small animals like rabbits, mice and such have distinctive noises that they made when moving and looking for food. When a predatory was near they went still as statues and therefore silent. They had probably smelled a fox or weasel nearby. But the winds started changing and came from the west, were we were facing. I stilled and I felt Wool stiffen, our noses inhaling and analyzing. Wolves were coming, and none I recognized. I turned my head and looked at Wool’s face. He looked scared and shocked, then he whispered one word that made my blood turn into ice…

“Mona…”