Chapter 7

The longer I ran, the clearer my mind got. That’s why I shift and run when my anger threatens to take hold of the better in me, to calm down and see more clearly. To humans it might be hard to understand the feelings of a werewolf; when you get mad, you might even kill before thinking. When attracted you’re more of what humans refer to as a possessive stalker. This is normal for us, but even so it might put me in a bad spot with the pack if I kill one of their females on my very arrival. So, I run off some steam, then I go back and…I don’t know.

When I finally slowed down I noticed the darkness, it was way past midnight. How long had I run? Where was I? You could not hear a sound, apart from the occasional howl of an owl or rustle of a mouse or hare trying to sneak past their hunters. As I wolf I still could see clearly, not as in daylight but still clear. Up ahead there were large boulders building up to what looked like a small mountain, as I approached I found at least four cave openings. I sniffed the air just outside all of them, but smelt nothing so they seemed unoccupied. Caved were good since you minimized risking detection, and I could smell the rain coming so being able to sleep and keep dry sounded good! I picked one at random and fell asleep as soon as I lay down, to the sound of rain.

In the morning I felt wonderfully rested, and hungry as a…well you can guess. Maybe I was to hunt for some rabbit before trying to retrace my steps home… And what do you know, as on command I heart the familiar sound of a rabbit sneaking in a nearby bush.

After this satisfying breakfast I began my tracing, it was hard because of the rain but I at least had a pretty good sense of what direction I came from the other night. As I went I soon started to recognize some landmarks, and it did not take long after that before I smelled the packs scent.

Two hours later I saw the large house I was now to call ‘home’. I ignored the nervous tingle in my stomach and began jogging to the porch. It was nobody in sight, so I dared to shift and quickly run up the stairs before anyone spotting my naked body. I grabbed my backpack which still laid on the bedroom floor, fished up a white cotton dress and snuck into the shower. It felt lovely becoming clean from all the dirt and blood from the rabbit, so I took my time. When I later turned the water off I listened if I could hear noises downstairs, but there was silence. Where was everyone? I quickly dried myself and my hair with I towel, put on the dress and walked down the stairs and into the common room. There was nobody…

“So, there you are. We worried about you.” A lady voice said in a low but friendly tone. I shrieked and spun around to find a middle aged woman with, already, grey hair and nice brown eyes. She smiled a small smile as she sat in a chair, knitting. My heart was still racing, and I just stood there, blinking.

“So, so, don’t be scared of me, I’m Amanda and I live here; as a lone wolf, as they call it.” She chuckled a bit to ease the tension and I immediately felt myself relaxing.

“I’m-”

“The new Luna, yes I know. We have been looking forward to meet you, sorry it came to such an unfortunate greeting…” she looked regretful, but then smiled again and asked if I wanted some tea. I gladly accepted and followed her to the kitchen. She was quite cute in her long blue dress with white dots all over it; she looked like one of those sweet old ladies that always look after the maids in the fairytales. Although Amanda really did not seem that old, looking at her face and posture…

As she prepared the tea she led me on with some small talk, before continuing with the question I really wanted to ask her, but could not find the courage to. Did I want to know the answer?

“The girl you saw…greeting…Alpha Donovan yesterday was Daisy. But before I tell you about their relationship I must let you know a bit about Alphas. An unmated Alpha has a very extensive sex drive, which of course get only ‘worse’, if you see it that way, when finding their mate. With that being said, it may not come to a surprise to you that Alpha Donovan has had his share of lady friends, I say prefer to call them.” I frowned at her words, why did this hurt so much to hear?

“Daisy and Alpha Donovan started seeing each other only months before he travelled to meet you, but she has had a crush on him since she was little. She is a nice girl but very hooked up on her love for him, so don’t judge her too hard, dear. Even though her behavior was inappropriate the other day.“

“So what, he didn’t tell her about me?” I asked rather surprised.

“Oh, she knew about you alright, but sometimes the truth can be hard to accept, that is the case with Daisy.”

We continued talking for a long time, Amanda told me soma pack stories, about her growing up and never finding her mate, so she had become a sort of maiden mother of the Pack House. It was not hard to sense she had had some hard times, but had won wisdom and love in her life. Love from everyone in the pack, since they all seemed to cherish her dearly and confide in her when they needed someone to talk to.

We were interrupted by the sound of movement towards the front porch.

“Oh, speak of the devil” Amanda said in an amused voice. “Your mate seems to be back with the helping trackers.”

“What, they have been looking for me?” But Amanda did not have time to answer before the front door was forcefully opened and a bare chested Donovan bashed into the kitchen. His eyes were wide opened and red, as if he had been up a week straight worrying. He was covered in dirt and soaking wet, from the rain I assumed. As he laid his eyes on me he seemed as he had a boulder lifted from his shoulders, and after simply staring at me for a few seconds he walk towards me with his arms out, wanting to take me in. I quickly stood up and pushed him away as I growled “Don’t you touch me!”

Ha stopped looking hurt, my wolf begged me to comfort him, but I didn’t think so.

“I-please Domina, let me explain-”

“I know most of it, so spare me.“ I said with a harsh voice, as I saw that bitch Daisy walk up to Donovan from behind, trying to grab his arm. She did not make it though, as he took a step towards me with pleading eyes. She then turned her eyes towards mine, with a venomous smirk on her face. That bitch knew exactly what she was doing, and this was her challenging me. She again looked at Donovan, putting her hand on his shoulder and said in a sweet voice;

“Don, maybe we should let her cool down a bit, I can massage you’re shoulders as you always like so much.” Oh, that was it! A fraction of a second later I had her by the throat up against the wall. She squirmed as I growled right in her face;

“He is MINE, keep your filthy hands off him! I know very well that you want him, but only I can fuck him like he needs to be fucked, so step back, bitch!”

Just as that the whole room was quiet as the grave, not even Donovan spoke. Daisy seemed shocked by my move, and she fell down coughing when I released her. I took a quick look around, nobody dared look at me except for Donovan. I started walking up the stairs, then stopped and turned around, looking into Donovans confused eyes.

“Are you coming?”