Chapter 11

We laid there for several hours, just me and him. I still couldn’t move other than my eyes, but it gave me a chance to listen to him. He told me a lot of things, about him being the only child, his father who was the descendant to a great line of werewolves, where all the males became alphas and of course, they were strong pure bloods. His father had died when Donovan was fourteen, killed by a group of blood thirsty rouges in battle, leaving the position as alpha to his beloved son. Donovan’s mother almost died of grief, and was now living on an island around Greece, seeking serenity for her broken soul. Losing a mate was most often fatal, but her love for Donovan kept her alive, at least physically; but she still couldn’t stay in the village along with the scents and memories of the love of her life that was gone forever.

He later told me about his first few years as an alpha, of how he had felt like being thrown into icy water as his father died and left him that responsibility of both his mother and of the pack. But Donovan had grown up fast, quickly earning the respect of all the pack members, even those much older than himself. He feared nothing, and had through the years come to be the most feared and respected alpha in the country. He tended to the pack’s economics extremely well, and now they were beyond rich. Much money Donovan spent on land, buying as much as possible, making their territory (which was already as big as Ireland) larger and theirs by human standards. Short said- we could run free without fear of hunters and such.

When it came to education and such Donovan encouraged all the young adults in the pack to go away to college, it they wanted, to expand their knowledge of the world and decide if they really did want the pack life. Mostly alphas did not let anyone leave the pack; it was just not an option. But Donovan believed that every ‘pup’ should be able to decide, at the age of eighteen. And I was both glad and surprised to hear that no one to this day had chosen to stay out. I wonder if not one single wolf had left at all? Seems unlikely, and like he could hear my thought he said that there had been people leaving. Most often because they found their mates in other packs and wanted to be with them, that’s just natural, and keeps the packs away from inbreeding. There had also, he said, been some banning’s and a few who had left for other reasons, heartbreak being one. Donovan hadn’t had a real relationship before me, but the closest he had come was with a girl in the pack, about his age and they had dated for almost a year. And yes, I went furious hearing about this, I wanted to kill that girl who I had never even met… Anyway, Donovan had met a few other girls, and she had become crazy with anger. He told her what should have been obvious even to her; that they weren’t mates. And no matter that they had decent sex he couldn’t find himself to love her. He tried to make it work, but she was too possessed with him and the love she craved to let him go. It went so far that she moved away, leaving the pack forever. Even though I didn’t like the idea of anyone else toughing Donovan, I kind of felt bad for her. She got her heart broken so bad that she left all she knew, how did you live with that?

Changing the subject he continued to talk about triumphs and victories that The Dark Moon Pack had in its history, which was a whole lot. After a few hours I drifted into sleep, warm by Donovan’s side. I even had a beautiful dream, of me being on a warm, deserted beach with only the waves making any sound. There was a sundown, and I sat down and enjoyed the tickling feeling from the sand against my skin. I felt at peace, I never wanted to leave. My stomach felt strangely warm, like I had something warm inside, it felt nice. Now I only missed…something or someone? Donovan…

“Baby, you’re dreaming.” He grunted and made me groan back.

“I was having a nice dream, did you really… oh, I can speak! Thank god!” I immediately started to check limb by limb to see if I could move as well, only to find that I barely could lift my arms or move my legs. But at least I could talk again, which was a relief, to say the least. Donovan chuckled at my happy shriek of joy.