Belleza - Chapter Thirteen

Nani sat on her bed, staring at the wall. She had her hand on her baby bump, wondering how something so beautiful came out of something so ugly and unhealthy.

"Hey." Joshua knocked on her open door, walking in shortly after with a laundry basket in his hands. "I'm throwing a load in, you need anything washed?"

"I'm having a girl." She said plainly, her eyes were glued to a specific spot on the wall, where a string of pictures hung from her and Oscar's first date at the movies, they had taken them at a photo booth in the arcade.

Joshua furrowed his eyebrows, pouting his bottom lip as he nodded his head at her. "Una niña?"

She nodded, running her hand down her belly then glanced up at her cousin. "Do I tell him?"

He shrugged, picking up a t-shirt from the floor, then a pair of ripped jeans. "It's been four months prima."

"Has it?"

"Yeah." He nodded, standing straight. "Congratulations on the baby girl, she's gonna be just as a beautiful as her mom." He smiled, then stepped out of the room.

The washing machine was outside, and as for dryer: they had to hang the cloths on a wire and let them air dry. Joshua set the laundry basket on the ground, opening the washing machine and throwing a tablespoon of powdered soap into it, then twisted the knob for the water to begin pouring in.

"Hey."

He looked up from the washing machine, rolling his eyes at Oscar's mug. "Hey." He said, wiping his wet hands on his jeans.

"How you been homie?" Josh nodded, grabbing a hand full of cloths and tossed them into the washer, nothing said. "Uh." Oscar cleared his throat, "is Nani home?" He paused, then slowly looked up at Oscar with an eyebrow raised, he was serious. "Come on, ayúdame compa."

Joshua scoffed, "you realize you killed her ex right?"

"I came to apologize." He mumbled, "I want to make things right with her."

Josh crossed his arms, "I can't make that decision for her man, sorry."

Oscar sighed, turning around to walk away. But he was surprised when he saw Nani behind him, her arms folded over her chest.

"I saw your car from my window."

Chills filled Oscar's entire body. "I love you Nani." He spoke in a raspy voice, his pride breaking at the sight of her skinny face and dark under eyes.

Joshua cleared his throat, "I guess I'll just.. uh, go inside, give you two some privacy." He walked past Nani, whispering, "if you need anything knock on my window." She nodded and he walked off.

Oscar's eyes trailed down to her baby bump and he smiled. "Wow."

Nani put her hand over her belly, making a decision without thinking about it first. Never a good idea. "A girl."

"What?"

Nani stepped closer to Oscar, "she's a girl, I'm naming her Adeya." He was at a loss for words, overcome with so many emotions. "What did you think?"

"About what?" He went to take a step closer to her but she stepped back.

"You could come here and tell me you love me and everything would be okay?" She shook her head, "Oscar you need help and I refuse to be anywhere near you until you get it."

He grabbed her hands, tightening his grip when she tried to pull away. "Nani I need you."

She swallowed, then exhaled nervously. "And you had me."

"I wasn't the only one that messed up." He set his hand on the side of her face, turning her head so she'd look at him, "we both did."

"Don't compare it, Oscar. You took somebodies life."

He mocked her, scoffing. "I wouldn't have had to if you hadn't slept with him."

"Go home." She pulled her hands away, "please don't come back."

He walked in front of her, stopping her. "Nani listen to me." She tried to walk around him, but he grabbed her each time. "Te lo juro que si me vuelves a dejar me mato."

She was surprised by his words, tears filled her eyes. "You can't do that Oscar. You can't threaten me with that."

"I'd rather be dead then live without you," he shook his head, licking his lips, "I can't do it anymore."

"Oscar stop."

"God damn it Nani!" He yelled, "please forgive me."

She looked down at the floor, tears finally spilling from her eyes. "I can't, Oscar."