Belleza - Chapter Five

Nani grabbed her phone and charger, sticking the items into her backpack. Joshua watched her, shaking his head. "So that's it?" He sat back on the sofa, folding his arms over his chest, "just like that? You're leaving?"

She nodded, setting her bag down and fixing her hair to the side. "I think both of us said what we needed to, I'm done. I quit, Joshua."

"You quit?" He stood up, scoffing, "you can't quit."

"I just did, I quit being your employee, your cousin, your maid, I'm done." She shrugged, grabbing her bag off of the floor, throwing it over her shoulder.

He put his hands on his hips, "and where are you going to go? Huh? You've known that little Santo puto for three weeks. Watch you give it up to him, he'll send you right back."

She rolled her eyes, walking toward the front door. "Bye Joshua, I hope things work out for you."

"Work out for me? Work out for me mis pinches huevotes, pendeja!" He opened the door, shoving her out and slammed it behind her. "Stupid bitch."

Nani sighed, looking around the front yard, "Miklo?" She walked around the back, he was chained to the tree. "Hi baby, are you ready to go?"

She heard a window slide open forcefully, "leave my dog right there!"

"He's mine." Nani unraveled the chain, pulling Miklo softly. She walked a couple of blocks, then took a break because her chanclas were giving her blisters on the side of her pinky toes. She looked down at her feet, thinking for a second. If she took off her sandals, her feet would burn because of the hot concrete. But, if she kept them on for the next couple of blocks; her feet would bleed. Then an idea came to mind, she had some Pokémon slippers in her backpack.

"I swear, I get smarter every damn day." She mumbled, wrapping Miklo's chain around her hand so he wouldn't run away, opening her bag and pulling out her slippers, dropping them on the floor. She put the chanclas in her bag, and began to walk again. "See Miklo? Problem solving."

She walked a couple of more steps, picking her speed up when she heard the familiar roaring of an engine, and the loud music. It was an old school Spanish-rap song, anybody could've guessed who it was. She didn't turn though, she really didn't want to run into him.

She heard a honk, her reflex was to look so she turned her head quickly. Sure enough Oscars Impala was pulling up.

She cursed under her breath, he was with Cesar and a homeboy so he didn't pass by her house, right? She didn't want him to know she was leaving Joshua's house, she just wanted to leave without any questions.

Nani had already talked to Mrs. Martinez, she said she could stay as long as she needed to, even with Miklo. As long as she took care of him and cleaned up after him. But without her job now, it was going to be hard to get on her feet again. She didn't want Oscar to know she was staying there, more-so because of Mario, he was going to think wrong and lash out.

She ignored him, pretending as if she didn't hear anything and continued walking, until he pulled up next to her.

"Amor." Oscar looked pass Cesar through the passenger window. "Fuck you goin'?"

"Taking Miklo for a walk, Oscar." She shrugged, "is there a problem?"

He scoffed, putting the car in park and motioning over to his window, she complied, rolling her eyes.

Her and Oscar had gotten into an argument the night before, because she didn't think it was okay for him to have hynas in the car, even if they were with his homeboys. No, she hadn't gotten over it yet.