Belleza - Chapter Eleven

Nani shook her head, walking into the kitchen wrapped tightly in a white towel. "I don't even care anymore." She mumbled.

Oscar followed her, scoffing. "You don't care?"

"You obviously don't want to be with me and I'm not gonna sit here and let you say things like that about me. Okay, I was a stripper. So what? You're a gang banger with no real job and two strikes."

His mouth agape slightly, "if it's like that then why the hell are you here? Why'd you take me back if I'm just a gang banger with two strikes?"

She paused for a second, huffing. "I'm pregnant, Oscar."

He froze, raising an eyebrow. "You're what?"

She sighed, swallowing the lump in her throat. "I knew you were going to leave me again." She made eye contact with him. "So I told Mario I'd.." She cleared her throat, "sleep with him if he gave me money."

His jaw completely dropped and he stared at her for a few seconds. When she didn't say anything he began to laugh, nudging her. "You're fucking with me right? This is all just some prank? Damn y'all got me. Mario's a good ass actor."

She took in a soft breath, looking down at her bare feet. "It was only one time, I promise."

His smile fell, realizing she was completely serious by the dullness in her eyes. "I don't even know what to say to you right now." He shook is head, "What do I say to you right now Nani?" She met his angry eyes, gulping at the darkness glaring over. "What do you want me to say to you? Tell me." She shook her head and he scoffed. "See, you didn't just cheat on me, you offended me by thinking if we broke up I wouldn't have taken care of that child who probably isn't even mine, cause now you're fuckin' new vatos every day. Que poca madre la tuya, neta." She continued to stay quiet, that raised his anger to the max and he spoke without thinking. "You're unbelievable, no wonder your dad found it so easy."

Her posture changed, her eyes glossing over at his words. He knew exactly what he said and regretted it as soon as he did, he knew he had fucked up in the worst way possible. "Leilani, I didn't mean it—"

She shook her head, faking a smile. "I deserved it. Excuse me, I'm gonna get dressed."

He grabbed her arm, sighing. "I'm sorry, Nani. I swear I didn't mean it."

"Okay." She pulled her arm free as she walked out, shutting the door behind her. What he said could have emotionally messed up her head, but she has to understand where he's coming from. Right?

The bedroom door opened and Nani came in sniffling with a plastic bag, the plastic crinkling noisily as she extended it. "I'm gonna stay with Joshua for a bit, I feel like that's best for both of us." He stared at her, his eyebrows pulling together, but she didn't turn, not even a little bit. Even less when he cleared his throat to speak, that usually was it for her to turn and listen. But she didn't, she opened the second drawer of the nightstand and began to pull clothes out. He stood, stepping close, his fingers hovering over the side of her stomach. She paused, biting the inside of her cheek.

"You're gonna go?" His breath hit the back of her neck causing goosebumps to spread all over her arms.

She nodded softly, "we shouldn't do this anymore."

He furrowed his eyebrows, "do what?"

"Be together." 

"Huh?" He spun her around, causing her to drop the bag onto the tiled floor, "you get to decide if we stay together or not?"

She pushed him back, grabbing her things off of the floor. "If I don't then who does? You? No Oscar."

"No?" He retorted, "no seas pendeja, who's gonna take care of the kid?"

She scoffed, "I will Oscar."

He nodded, "ight then, lárgate."

"Okay." She gripped the bag, walking around him and out of his bedroom. Cesar lifted his head from the couch, watching her walk towards the door. "Bye C." She waved, "take care of yourself." Cesar raised his hand slowly, confused.

When she walked out of the front door Cesar stood up, walking down the hall. Oscar was sitting on his bed again, looking at his phone. He knocked twice, causing his brother to look up, nodding at him. "Que rollo, hermanito?"

Cesar crossed his arms, his eyebrows furrowed. "Hey."

When that was all that he said Oscar spoke up, "do you need something?"

"Nah, nah." He chuckled softly. "Where did your girl go?"

"Home, we're done fool." He locked his phone, sliding it in his cargo shorts. "Did the homies leave?"

Cesar's lips parted, surprised. "Yes, they did. But that's besides the point. What do you mean done?"

"You know when two people break up?" Oscar laughed, standing up and patting his little brothers back, "you'll understand when you're older, rally the boys."

"But—"

"Now." He interrupted, grabbing a lighter from the nightstand. "I got some business to take care of at the Martinez house. We can chop it up about girls later. Cool?"

"Business? No, you can't, my friend lives there Oscar."

Oscar chuckled, "who's asking for permission? You're either in or out."