Belleza - Chapter Three

Nani sighed, standing from the couch. The knocking on the front door wouldn't stop, even after the twenty minutes she pretended it wasn't happening. She turned the lock, and twisted the knob. Standing on the porch was Mario.

"Oh." He was sweaty, and looked out of breath, his curly hair all over the place. "Hey, wasn't expecting to see you here."

She furrowed her eyebrows, "I live here." She opened the door a little wider, "you've been knocking for twenty minutes, who were you expecting to see?"

He walked pass her, rolling his eyes. "I have to get my stuff, Nani."

She scoffed, shutting the door as she followed him to her room. "Mario, you come to get your stuff every other week."

"Well," he opened her closet door, looking through the clothes. "I had a lot of stuff here." He grabbed a shoe box, before opening it he turned to her, with puppy eyes. "We spent a lot of time together, remember?" He opened the box, it wasn't his so he shut it and set it back down. "Aha!" He grabbed a sweater from a hanger, "my sweater, I've been looking for this!"

"That's my sweater, I let you borrow it once." She crossed her arms.

He shook his head, smelling it, "nah, no, I remember this being mine."

Nani rolled her eyes, "fine, take it." She turned to walk out of her room, with him following, "why couldn't you have came earlier? I'm waiting for someone, they could be here any minute."

He stopped, his heart dropping, and he swallowed, "who?"

A knock sounded at the door, the two looked over at it. Mario began walking towards it, but Nani stopped him, pushing him back. "Stay there."

She reached for the door handle, Oscar appeared with a smirk on his face and blunt behind his ear.

"Spooky?" Mario asked, causing Oscars attention to switch to him. "You're going out with Spooky?"

Oscar nodded at him, "what's up fool?"

Nani smiled at Oscar, completely forgetting Mario even existed. "Hey Oscar, you're early."

He nodded, looking at Mario shortly, his eyes turning back to Nani as he began to speak. "Yeah, es que I was doing some shit around town, and I just got back to FreeRidge, thought I'd stop by early."

"Pásale." She opened the door wider, "make yourself at home."

He stepped forward, and she shut the door.

"Mario?" Mario's mouth parted slightly, watching Nani motion her head to her room. "A word, please?" She smiled, awkwardly, "I'll be back Oscar."

Oscar nodded as Nani grabbed Mario by his arm, dragging him into her room.

He narrowed his eyes at her, sitting on the bed, "so Spooky huh?"

She folded her arms over her chest, "how do you know him?"

He laughed, "he's one of the homies, leader of the Santos, no sabias?"

"No, well I figured." She went through her closet, looking for a shirt. "I really don't think it matters."

Mario stood up, "but what about you? Huh? Your past? Actually, your present is just as bad."

She rolled her eyes, "what are you talking about, Mario?"

"Your dad, how he use to treat you? What he did to you?" He stepped forward.

"Can you keep your damn voice down?" She shoved him, glaring at the curly haired man.

"I don't think homeboy is the kind of person to understand something like that, a broken home plus a broken home never equals a healthy relationship." He shrugged, "just saying."

She pulled a shirt out, sighing. "Says a lot about our relationship, huh?" She threw the shirt in her hand onto the floor of her closet. "He doesn't have to know, Mario." She turned back, grabbing a pair of shorts. "It's not your place to say anything, either."

"And I won't." He chuckled softly, shrugging. "Nani," he began, causing her to stop what she was looking for and face him. "I miss you." She rolled her eyes, continuing what she was doing. "I'm serious, and I'm pretty sure it's obvious I don't come here to get my stuff."

"Good," she smiled, "I won't open the door anymore."

"He's a murderer, Nani." Mario turned her to face him, "he wears it proudly on his face."

"Everyone has a past, Mario. Both of us know that."

Mario's jaw flexed, he was defeated. There was nothing else he could possibly say to her to change her mind. "Fine." He nodded, "I'll get going then."

Nani nodded as well, "see you."

He smiled softly, turning his back and walking through her bedroom door, Nani following soon after.

"Take care, homie." Mario spoke to Oscar, who was sitting on the couch. He opened the front door, after grabbing the hoodie from the couch and walked out, shutting it behind him.

Oscar stood from the love seat as Nani walked into the living room. "Hi mama." He pulled her into a one-armed hug, kissing her forehead, "everything alright?"

She nodded, "Yeah, just ex boyfriend drama."

"Mm." He pursed his lips, crossing his arms, "I feel you."

She laughed, "do you now?" She began to walk to her room again to finish getting dressed, he followed.

"Yeah most def', boyfriend troubles ain't nothin' new to me." He joked, nudging her. She laughed yet again, letting him into her room. He sat down on her bed, looking up at her. "What you trynna do today?"

She shrugged, "I'm down for whatever."

He raised an eyebrow, "so if we didn't go out, you're down for just chillin' around here?"

"Of course." She pulled her shirt over her head to put a white tank top on. "Whatever you want to do."

"How 'bout a movie?" He laid back, resting one arm behind his head, his other hand messing with his chain.

"Yeah," she shrugged, "sure."

"You don't seem so sure." He chuckled, jokingly.

She buttoned her pants, then pulled the zipper up, "believe me, baby, I'm sure. As long as it's with you."

He smiled as he took his phone out.

She stood in front of her mirror, picking up a pair of earrings, he spoke as she put them on.

"The conjuring?" Oscar looked up at her, and she sat next to him.

"You're not scared?"

He shook his head, "hell nah baby, I'm a whole ass gangster."

She scoffed, mocking him. "Okay, gangster. I'm down, what time?"

He looked back down at his phone, "fifteen minutes."