Bad Fortune Cookie

Honestly, is anyone surprised I was a butt and didn't update? Not me! I'm so sorry. Things got away from me and I just got so busy. But luckily, I'm in a bridge between winter and spring sports, so an update...? I'll try to get on top of it, I promise!

But in better news, Stuart Gibb's other series book Lion Down came out! I haven't read it yet but I'm just 124 in line out of 4 copies. Yay. So don't spoil it! :)

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for well over 1K views! I mean, just wow! A lot of authors say this, but I truly mean it: this is a huge deal and I can't thank you guys enough. Seriously. Anyway, enjoy this VERY LATE update!

After Joshua finally calmed down, he started barking orders.

"Everyone out! OUT! This is no time to be celebrating! We have failed! Mr. Dorenboard! A quick word with me. Everyone else, OUT! Oh and someone bring that rat, Ripley, out of here! I would like to talk with him later. It is his fault our calculations were off. I can't believe we did not execute properly because of our own incompetence! Oh and-" Joshua finally stopped shouting when he realized his boss was in the room, "Mr. E, I am so sorry. Let me humbly apologize for this, erm... mishap in the plan. I assure you though, our client will not be deterred. We still, um, sorta, did what they asked. But I would like to point out that this was out of my reach. It was a calculation problem or something was wrong with the missiles themselves." Joshua looked like he was sweating. He obviously feared this man. I wonder how powerful this man actually is.

Mr. E did nothing, but cock an eyebrow. "Out of your reach, hmm, Mr. Hallal? That is quite interesting, seeing that you were in charge of this whole mission and we had very important clients to attend to. I will have to make note of yet another failed mission of yours. And our clients must hear about this. Or perhaps they already have. It is sure to have made nation news now. To mishap... I'm afraid that is not a big enough word. Fix your mistake, Joshua, or face the consequences. Now everyone, back to work." In one sweeping gesture, he left the room.

No one moved for a few seconds. They were all looking at Joshua expectantly, who stood looking defeated and stressed.

"You heard the man!" Joshua finally snapped, "Get back to work!"

It was like a switch was flipped. Suddenly, everyone frantically got up and started doing stuff. Some guards came to my chair, looking furious and demanded,

"Get up! We're taking you to your cell."

My hands were still handcuffed to the chair, thus not being able to get up.

"I can't. I'm tied to a chair."

The guards exchanged embarrassed looks and the bigger one snapped, "Of course! We didn't mean it like that! It was a figure of speech! Wow, our tax dollars going to poor education. Don't you know a joke, kid?"

I said nothing as they unlocked my handcuffs. But in my head, I was thinking about how dumb he is. Number one, I doubt he even pays taxes. He doesn't seem like a guy to follow the rules like that. Number two, 'Get up!' is not a figure of speech. And a joke is not any part of speech. Maybe you should worry about your own 'poor education.'

After I was unchained, I could finally move. I stretched my aching legs and the guards roughly grabbed me by my forearms. They started parading me out of the room as I heard Joshua screaming curses at Dorenboard, the SPYDER agent who blamed me for the missile failure (which is technically true, if I do say so myself.) He was in hot water with SPYDER because apparently he check my calculations and said they were correct.

I snuck a glance over my shoulder and saw Joshua screaming, Dorenboard on his knees begging, and Audrey pointing a gun right at his forehead. Audrey had this blank, merciless expression on her face that chilled me to the bone.