Chapter 21 Escaping Death

-Julian-

Where have you been? What have you been doing? These are the questions that burned from inside. They were like razors to my flesh.

Was the professor doing his best to keep his left hand of view?

“Alright, alright, alright!” My head felt like it was the verge of exploding. I was just told that my death was just averted tonight. That would shake anyone up. “What are we going to do with the body?” This wasn’t the question I actually had in mind but the questions wouldn’t stop piling up!

No one spoke up at first but the professor shockingly did. “I’ll take care of it.”

“Take care of it? How?” Everybody was about to see how Julian blows up when under too much pressure.

Amber turned around and started to leave.

“You!” I pointed an accusing finger in her direction, rather a retreating figure. Her back was to me and she was quicker than I thought. “You don’t get to run from me again!”

I started with a light jog wanting more than ever to not look at the body as I passed it by. The figure was a naked man and the wound was…

“And I will be back asking questions!” I made sure both Godsey and J.P. knew that. J.P. and Godsey wore the same face expression which was actually pretty funny. If only the situation was funny. They both looked a kid caught with their hands in the cookie jar. One who always wore a deep pensive expression otherwise serious while the other was the complete opposite. To see them both, two very different people, wear the same expression… now that was a first. So yes, normally I would have laughed. I just somehow knew better. This was no laughing matter.

Maybe I shouldn’t leave them alone, but Amber was the one I needed questions answered from the most. Call it a gut feeling. We had barely left the courtyard.

“Amber!” I called out to her but she wasn’t slowing down. “Amber!” Was that even her real name? I didn’t know what to think anymore. Then for lack of better words I added, “I need answers. Please!”

As if she would slow down, she didn’t.

That didn’t stop me from catching up to her. I planned to use force if necessary, just nothing too extreme because that wasn’t who I was.

“Are you saying that you are a Gypsy but also able to what, see the future? What- when-“ I struggled again for words while also fighting for breath. What was I trying to say? When was she going to tell me? Would I have believed her? No, I wouldn’t. I don’t come from that kind of word. At least consciously.

My so called death was one of the things that had me shaken up. Other people were dead. Immanuel, the one and only other friend I had left was just one of them. So was this now suddenly all over? Did we catch the bad guy? Would these deaths stop?