Chapter 9 Waning Gibbous

-Tyler-

There were dreams I had as my consciousness came and went. They were weird dreams, but only at first. Sometime around the second day the dreams became a relief from reality. Reality became a place where things got to hot. Even when I felt someone there, my body temperature would soar higher. Not even an ice bath could saturate the extreme heat. The heat would start from my head and down to the rest of my body. Other than that, it felt like bugs were crawling all over my body, under my skin and over my face. Yet somehow there was this sensation that I was, getting stronger.

In my dreams I felt myself gliding across the forest floor. My feet (or paws?) never touched the ground. There was so much to smell and see at once. It was exciting actually. These dreams were the only thing that provided me entertainment.

The forest, or where ever I really was, looked like an enchanted forest. The leaves and everything it in glowed green. My eyesight could be the reason behind that. For some reason I was much lower to the ground. When I ran I hardly heard a sound but when a chipmunk ran, well they made a lot of noise. I could have shot it in the dark. To make things easier my nose worked even more effectively. Though every time I got close to catching it, it got away. Somehow.

That when I first came across him or you could say the wolf. He wasn’t easy to see nor was he easy to catch up to. He would dart of towards places that didn’t exist to hide him. He’d leave no scent.

It was always when he’d appear with his otherworldliness, I’d wake up. The agony of a burning body would start all over again. Even a thin sheet would make the heat unbearable. At least there was always someone where with me. I couldn’t always tell who it was but I’d recognize J.P.’s silhouette.

Sometimes in the dreams, I would stand very still, listening to the trees… talk? Well how else could I describe it? The trees would creak around me even with no wind. I’d look straight up at the trees that had to be at least eighty feet tall. Specks of light would fall from above but they’d vanish before getting close to me. It was one of the most relaxing sights I’d ever seen.

The forest got even more interesting at night. The trees from the trunks even started to glow green and vibrate lines of muted green. It was like the trees were all breathing. I could also see a lot better at night. Everything felt so peaceful at night. I don’t know why I was ever afraid of the woods at night anymore. I felt so… on top of the world.

That’s when I saw what appeared to be the very same wolf again. This time I could see him a bit better. Except nothing was hundred percent clear. The wolf appeared to be waiting for something and always too far away.

Then when I heard the howling of wolves that came from all around me. I’d get really excited. My feet would start to move on their own accord in the direction the wolves would be howling from. However, when I felt close, the howling would suddenly move farther away.

All I knew is, that I wanted to join with these wolves. I wanted to run with them because even though the forest was amazing, it was lonely.

So as awful the waking world was for me, I heard J.P., my best friend’s voice. That was pretty much the only bit of solitude I had being awake. Sometimes I caught snatches that I was a werewolf. A voice I could barely focus on was telling me that. For a while all I could think of was, this is a really horrible nightmare. When I realized that this couldn’t possibly be a nightmare, the dreams had actually started.