9.0

Beau opens her eyes as she hears Matt padding across the room to join her on the balcony connected to their bedroom overlooking the ocean, a spot they both find themselves in often because of their shared love of the view, sitting up on the sunbed and pulling her legs closer to her body so that Matt has room to join her. He smiles, taking a seat and turning his face towards the sea, taking in the view as if it's the first time he's seen it - something she has noticed he does a lot when he particularly likes something.

"I know you're the one that organised all this, but I'm glad we came." Beau sighs contently, relaxing as she watches the man she's come to love deeply enjoying a peaceful moment with her in the little slice of paradise they've been staying at for the past week and a half.

"So am I," Matt turns around to face her. "I wasn't sure how well you would take me suddenly springing a trip out of the country on you out of nowhere, but I'm glad everything worked out fine and we got to do this."

Beau laughs, tipping her head back and looking at the clear blue sky above them. "This place is like a dream come true - and not only am I spending the time here with you, you're the one that made it possible. Thank you, Matthew. I love you."

"You're welcome, even though you don't have to thank me since this trip has benefited both of us." He leans closer, pressing a soft kiss to her lips. "I love you too, so much."

She leans her forehead against his, eyes closed and just savouring the moment. She smiles when she feels him shift before pressing kisses to other parts of her face.

"What is that clever mind of yours thinking about now?"

She huffs in amusement, opening her eyes again to look at him. "How lucky I am. How different it's going to feel when we go home to normal life again."

He hums to let her know that he's listening. "We've still got weeks before we have to go back, but I agree that it's probably going to feel a little strange to go home and be surrounded by everyone again, dropping in whenever they feel like it." He moves to the other sunbed, making himself comfortable on there so she can stretch out again. "And as for being lucky, we've talked about this, and I thought we established we've both hit the jackpot here." He smiles as she laughs, before looking down at his lap. "What else is on your mind? You've been pretty quiet all morning and afternoon."

Beau turns her head away, biting her lip and hesitating before deciding to go for it. They've talked about this subject before, and Matt didn't make a huge deal out of it then, so why should now be any different. "When we talked about the future before, having kids and stuff, you said something about the right time. I've just been trying to work out what you meant."

He frowns, both at her feeling the need to turn away when asking him this and also at the actual thing she's been so focused on. "You know you can talk to me, you could have asked about that anytime before now. Why are you so hesitant about it?"

She shrugs, "Just been nagging on the back of my mind for a while and kind of became a bigger question after-" She cuts herself off, not sure if she's about to mention something he's not meant to know.

"After...?" He prompts, reaching out for her hand, squeezing it in reassurance.

She turns to face him, her hand still gripping his as she places her feet down on the floor, feeling the need to look at him properly if they're going to have a serious discussion. "I was talking to Shelby yesterday, as you already know, and she let slip that she and Harry have been, you know, planning to have a kid. Now that you're all home for a decent amount of time and not off in another state or bouncing around places, she mentioned how it felt like the right time to them - that is what reminded me of what you said about right times and stuff."

His eyebrows raise at the new information, already knowing that Harry likes kids but completely unaware that he had been planning to have one of his own right now. Although, he can see their point about it being a pretty perfect opportunity. He stores the information away in the back of his mind for now, reminding himself to go back to it at another time since there's something more important to talk about right now.

"Well, to answer your question, I'd say that the right time is when we're both one hundred percent sure that we want a child. I mean, time is also a factor but I think the most important part is being sure of your decision." He cups her cheek with his free hand, smiling as she automatically leans into it while still listening intently. "I don't want my opinion to sway your decision and end up with you regretting it when it's too late. I want you to be sure, independent to what I want or think about it."

She places her hand on the one still cupping her cheek, the other still linked with his. "There are people younger than us having babies right now." She states.

He nods, "While that's true, that's what they chose for themselves, and it doesn't mean you should feel obligated to do the same just because somebody else is. I want a baby at some point, I've been honest with you about that, but I want you to be sure of what you want."

Beau stays quiet for a moment, bringing his hand from her cheek down into her lap and playing with his fingers as she thinks. "What if, hypothetically, I was sure of my decision and wanted to try?"

He sits up a little, "If you were positive that is what you truly wanted then we'd figure it out, together."

She nods, still looking at her lap as she really thinks about all that he's said. It's true that Matt has never kept it a secret within their relationship about wanting a baby, but what she's never let herself admit out loud is her dream of having a family of her own one day. She grips his hand tighter as she feels him begin to move away, probably to give her time to think, nodding to herself as she realises that a part of her has been sure of this decision for a lot longer than she'll ever admit to.

"I'm sure that I want a baby one day," She meets his eyes with a shy smile as he sinks back down onto his chair, looking at her slightly wide-eyed but she can see the glint of happiness and, dare she say, the excitement he is trying not to show. "A part of me that I haven't acknowledged in years has always wanted a family, and I am so in love with you, I know you'll make an amazing father, some day."

Matt moves off of his chair to kneel in front of her, his hands moving to her stomach. "You want to have a baby one day? With me?"

"I would love to," She nods, smiling at the awed look that crosses his face. "But not yet; I want a little longer of just us."

Matt dives forward, pressing a heated kiss to her lips as he moves one hand up to cup her neck to keep her close. "Thank you."

"For what?" She frowns, stroking his cheek as she gazes into his eyes.

He smiles, "Hope for the future. For being you." He shrugs, kissing her again. "Take your pick, but I'm thankful for those and a whole lot more when it comes to you."