Taking Care of the Sick

Tyler Gray

Stupid Alice. 

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. Why does she piss me off so damn much? Even asking that ridiculous question. I don't blush!

"Ty~"

I tensed and glared at the irritating voice calling out to me. "What?" I spat. I really wasn't in any mood to be kind to the sick. But the slight flinch she gave at my harsh tone made me regret it. Especially since her cheek looked painfully purple and swollen. That bruise... Dammit.

Her face took on an expression of playfulness, wiping away any sign of the hurt she displayed a split second ago.

"Why are you so mean all of a sudden? I only asked a question. No need to get all worked up," she said. "If you don't like the word blush~ then we'll call it..." she paused to think for a different word, "embarrassed or flustered."

"Just shut up will you?"

I got up and flicked her forehead just to get back at her. "I'm going to get you some water." A hand grabbed onto my shirt and I found Alice stubbornly trying to get up from the bed. Her hair was a mess, and judging by how much effort it was taking her to stand, I'm guessing she's still pretty sick.

"What exactly are you doing?"

She suddenly used the bed to support herself and tackle me, attaching herself on my back. "Let's go!" she cheered happily while pumping her fist in the air. It made me question my earlier judgement about her sickness.

"Get off." Why is she acting like a child? Stupid idiot. First she made me worry, now she thinks she's forgiven and is acting like her usual annoying self.

She nuzzled my neck, causing a shiver to ripple through me. What the hell?

"You smell nice. Now come on! Let's get me some water!"

"If you had that much energy already, then why don't you just get it yourself?" I grumbled.

"Because~ I'm a sick person and you are my lovely husband-to-be. You have to take care of me and help me get well," she said in a sing-song voice. I couldn't help but suspiciously think that the reason behind her bubbliness is the fact that she thought I blushed. Naive idiot.

Yet still, I carried her out of the room without much complaint. She was very light, making me slightly worried if she was even eating properly. Her body felt hot against my back, indicating that she wasn't getting any better. I need to force her to drink some medicine. Also...

"Alice?"

"Hmm?" she said, sounding less energetic as before. Her body was already limp against my back.

"When was the last time you ate?"

"Nnhnn, I don't know. The day before yesterday?" she said in a soft whisper.

"Are you kidding me!? Why haven't you eaten since then?"

"I..." she coughed, "didn't...feel like rrhhnn cooking or eating. And Ty, could...you please lower your voice? You're hurting...my head..."

I gritted my teeth and made my way to the kitchen quickly, passing by a smiling Naomi and a terrified Evan who followed us despite his fear of Alice.

"Is she um okay?"

"No," I growled, "this idiot hasn't eaten for days." I gently adjusted her on my back, noticing that she was now only barely conscious. "Evan, can you make her some soup. I'm going to make her drink some water."