Home

Alice Anderson

We left the park after a few more hours of walking and talking. And Tyler brought me to the place I never would’ve thought he’d ever bring me to.

The beach.

“Are you okay, Tyler?” I asked in concern. “Did you eat something funny?”

He rolled his eyes at me. “No. You love the beach right? So here we are, at the beach.”

“But I didn’t bring anything!” I protested immediately, excitedly unbuckling my seatbelt and removing my shoes hurriedly. Tyler had a tiny smile on his handsome face as he removed his own seatbelt leisurely and proceeded to take off his shoes. “Careful cupcake, you might trip.”

I ignored him and got out of the car with my shoes dangling from my fingers. The beach didn’t have many people there and the waves were nice and steady. I grinned excitedly and started walking towards the waves. The wind carried the scent of the ocean, feeling it caress my face. I’ve always loved this. The pool made me happy, but the sea just made me absolutely giddy. The pool was too…dead. The ocean was alive.

“Ty!” I said, beckoning him over to me with an excited wave of my hand. He stuck his tongue out but stayed where he was with one hand in his pocket, while the other held his shoes.

“Come here Ty,” I said wondering why he wouldn’t—

Realization dawned on me and I ran to him as quickly as I could. “You okay?” I said breathlessly. “Sorry, I got too excited and forgot about your thing with water.” I stood in front of him and watched him take a deep breath. “I admit that I was pretty hesitant about this. It was actually part of the original plan. You know, the one that I didn’t follow through and discarded,” he shrugged, taking his hand out of his pocket and holding it out to me. I took it without a second thought and grinned. “I like it. But why? You hate this.”

He shook his head. “I don’t hate you. And well, you looked like a total idiot running like a child. So it was all worth it.” I bumped his hips with mine for his teasing and I looked at the waves, listening to them making a small roar. “You know, when you said that this…” I held up our hands, “is permanent. It made me happy. Not that I’m making you promise anything but…it just helped. A whole lot actually.”

“I did mean it though,” he mumbled, red dusting his cheeks. “I don’t think I’ll…wait, no. You’re not getting this sappy shit out of me again.”

I laughed. “Darn, I was hoping you’d spill more of your feelings.”

He smirked. “I’m already too used to your twisted antics.”

I stuck my tongue out at him.

“What do you think your parents would think of us?” he suddenly asked. “Must not really be surprised since they’re the ones who set us up in the first place.”I stiffened, but I was subtle enough to hide it. Every time someone mentions my parents, which is almost never, I would have this foul rising guilt in the pit of my stomach, making me feel like I need to vomit out my guts. I can’t say that what I’m doing is a bad thing when this is the happiest I’ve ever been my entire life. And—

“Alice?”

I was startled to find Tyler’s face so close, his forehead against mine. I felt heat rush to my cheeks. “Yes?”

“What were you thinking about?” he asked curiously.

“Marriage?” I said, saying the first thing that popped into my head. I watched Tyler’s eyes widen in surprise and he stepped back. “Sorry, okay… that was stupid. Forget I said that,” I rambled on in panic. What is wrong with me? Of all the things I could have said. It had to be that one.