Little Discoveries

Tyler Gray

When I got back from my shower, Alice was nowhere to be seen. Evan was dozing off on his bed when I asked, “Where’s Alice?”

Evan literally jumped out of his skin when he heard my voice, earning a suspicious frown from me. “Uh, she went to help Naomi with Nash since the kid was asking for her.”

The answer seemed logical enough. Nash called out each of us at random times before he took his nap, making us read his baby books for him. I shrugged as I started drying off my hair. I stayed in my room for a while, just waiting for Alice to come back. Evan was oddly awake, talking to me and stuff. It was kinda weird.

“Hey Ev, is something wrong?” I asked. Evan turned to me, looking surprised and nervous. I almost chuckled. He really wasn’t good at hiding anything. “N—“ I cut him off, “If you say nothing, I’ll punch you in the balls.”

He cracked a smile and yawned. “I’m just…well, while you were gone, Alice uh…”

I perked up involuntarily at the mention of her name. God, since when have I become like this?

“What about her?” I asked nonchalantly.

“Well, I was just surprised. She tried to have a decent conversation with me. She wasn’t mean or hostile like usual… I wanted to ask you what you said to her to make her suddenly turn nice,” he said, fiddling with the blanket.

Alice was nice to Evan? She was actually making an effort? I smiled. “I didn’t say anything to her. Maybe she just got tired of being so mad at you all the time.”

“Yeah, maybe.” I missed the part where Evan sighed in relief and glanced quietly at the door.

“Alice was never really one to be unnecessarily nice. Polite, yes, but nice? Nah. She doesn’t really give a damn. I guess we have that in common,” I shrugged. I was honestly happy. Alice was warming up to Evan. For the next few minutes, Evan and I just spent it playing video games and me beating the shit out of him in all of them.

Suddenly, the door burst open. It was all such a blur before I felt arms wrap around my head. I had a pretty good idea who this was, and I was just about to tell her off when she squeezed me further into her chest, causing me to sputter and get flustered. The next thing that happened was that she was peppering kisses on my neck, murmuring something I couldn’t quite make out. She pulled my face and kissed my forehead, my temples, my nose, basically every inch of skin she could get from my face was bombarded with her lips. It was only then was I able to make out the murmuring.

“I love you. Don’t ever forget that, okay? I’ll kill anyone who tries to hurt you, I swear. God, Ty, I love you. You’re mine. You’re precious. You’re perfect. You’re—You are Tyler fucking Gray and I love you. You’re kind, sweet, and irreplaceable, and you’re everything.” The rest that came after that was too soft for me to understand. Not that I would have even been able to because I had just started to blush harder than I ever had in my entire fucking life. What the fuck was she doing? Why was she suddenly saying these things? I mean, she was turning my brain into mush using her overwhelming words, her softness, her scent, her hair, her voice... holy shit, I need to calm her down.

But it turns out I didn’t need to do much because the moment I said her name, she slowed down, her frantic sweet kisses lingering longer on my cheek before she pressed a feather light kiss on my lips, her brown eyes closed. Her hands, that had somehow managed to tangle in my curls, soothingly ran through them, making me almost make a pathetic whine when she stopped. I hate what she was turning me into.