Chapter 17

I stormed into Pulitzer's office with Jack, Davey and Spot right on my tail. I slammed 'The Newsies Banner' or 'The Children's Crusade' as I liked to call it on Pulitzer's desk with a loud thud. 

"You can't just barge in here!"  A man called after us but rules were made to be broken. 

"Mornin', gents!" I smiled up at Pulitzer and his employees happily. 

"You two are behind this," Pulitzer stated angrily. "We had a deal." 

"Oh, don't worry about that," I took the wads of cash from Jack's pockets. "It came with a money-back guarantee!" I flung the money onto Pulitzer's desk. 

"Oh, and thank you for your lesson on the powers of the press." Jack leaned over the desk to speak before walking over to a chair to sit down. I leaned against it. 

"Did you read this, boss?" One of the employees asked. I think his name was Seitz? "These kdis put out a pretty good paper. Very convincing!" He complimented, I felt touched until Pulitzer spoke. 

"No doubt written by my daughter," Pulitzer responded, as he finished reading his copy. 

"Hey, and our very own!" Jack pointed to me and I curtsied. "I would sign them before somebody else grabs her." Jack pointed before putting his hands up in surrender.

 He seemed to make himself at him at home. He had one leg over the arm of the chair. I sat down on the empty chair next to Jack. 

"I demand to know who defied my ban on printing strike material!" Pulitzer ordered, looking at his two employees. 

"Oh, we're your loyal employees!" I exclaimed, putting my hand over my chest. 

"We would never take our business elsewhere," Jack finished what I was going to say. We both smirked. 

"That old printing press in the cellar," Seitz offered and my smirk grew into a knowing smile. 

"Ahhh," I think her name was Hannah? She put a finger on her cheek. 

"Ding, ding, ding!" I shouted. I saw Jack was smiling, holding in a laugh.

"I made you the offer of a lifetime," Pulitzer stated, walking out from behind his desk. "Anyone who does not act in his own self-interest is a fool!" He finished. 

"What's that make you?" Davey shouted, causing me to flinch. Everyone turned to face him. I smiled up at his angry face. 

Pulitzer shot Davey a look saying 'You went too far,' but I nodded at Davey, telling him to keep going. Davey's softened his face and began to think more logically about the situation. 

"This all began because you wanted to sell more papers. But now your circulation is down 70 percent. Why didn't you just come talk to us?" Davey asked Pulitzer. He was being polite, which, that is apart of Davey. 

"'Cause guys like Joe don't talk to nobodies like us," I replied to Davey with a soft smile, trying to not make him feel upset once I said that. 

"But," Jack began, standing up from his chair and sauntered forward. "A very wise reporter told me, 'A real boss don't nee all the answer.' Nah. 'Just the smarts enough to snatch up the right one when he hears it,'" Jack finished, glaring at Pulitzer. 

[Newsies]
Now is the time 
To seize the day
Stare down the odds
And seize the day

Jack gestured for us to look out the window. We all walked over to the window. I was really tempted to roll over to the window in the chair, but I decided not to.