Chapter 9

It was dark out by the time I appeared at the Jacobs's doorstep. After struggling to to crawl up the stairs, I took a deep breath and leaned against the wall. I heard a click from the door and saw the handle twist. I gasped and quickly got off of the wall to leave.

"Yeah, I'll- Y/N?" Davey's voice asked from behind me. I felt tears prick out of the corners of my eyes. "Are you alright?" He asked, coming towards me. "I haven't seen you since halfway through the fight-"

"They got Crutchie!" I turned around, facing the tall boy with tears pouring out of my eyes. I looked at his face and saw a bruise forming around is eye and another on his upper cheek. Davey's eyes widened and he pulled me to his chest, engulfing me in a large hug, wrapping his long, strong arms around my small body. "I tried to help him," I gasped out. "I- I couldn't, I was so scared-"

"Shh, I know, I know you were scared," Davey said calmly, running his hand through my hair. "I told you to run when things started getting intense," Davey pulled away from me and put his hands on my shoulders. He bent down to look me in the eyes.

"I couldn't just leave you guys!" I yelled angrily, hot tears still streaming down my cheeks. "I can defend myself! I can do anything a man can do!" 

"I never said you couldn't, Y/N. I'm just- I don't want to see you get hurt, but look at you," Davey calmly replied, wiping way the tears on my cheeks and putting a hand behind my head. I felt my face heat up and the pang in my chest return once again. My stomach did flips as he was examining my face. "You're face is covered in blood and bruises, your arms are scratched up," he glanced over my injured body. "C'mon, lets get you cleaned up," he grabbed my hand gently and pulled me into his apartment. 

"That was fast, Da-" a voice cut itself off before it returned again panicked. "Y/N! Oh you poor thing! What happened? Are you alright?"

"I-I think I'm fine, Mrs. Jacobs," I replied, looking down at the floor. I saw the collar of my shirt was wet with the blood dripping off of my face. Panicked, I lowered my rolled up sleeves and held them to the bleeding parts of my head, which was basically my whole face. 

"No, you're not, sweetie," Mrs. Jacobs replied with a stern face. She opened her arms wide and and Davey gently pushed me into them. "Davey, don't push her, she's hurt," Mrs. Jacobs scolded her son, who I saw shrug from the corner of my eye. "Now, sweetie, we're gonna get you all washed up, okay?" She said, pulling her head away and examining my swollen face. "Davey, go to the store, now." With a stern voice and hard face thrown his way, Davey nodded. 

"Okay, mama, I'll be back in a bit," he announced, throwing a small smile at me. I smiled back before he turned around to leave. Once the door closed, I turned back around to Mrs. Jacobs. She smirked at me and I gave her a confused expression. 

"You- never mind, let's get you cleaned up, shall we?" Mrs. Jacobs let out a small laugh and led me to their bathroom. She sat me down on the floor before she left. I heard clattering and then chatter. I heard a 'Yeah, sure,' then more clattering.

 All of a sudden, Mrs. Jacobs appeared at the doorway once again. She had a small bowl filled with what I would guess water, a towel and a bottle. Sarah walked passed her mother, to the entrance way before coming back. 

"Oh, you're over here now," she laughed out before handing her mother what she was holding. It was a pile of clothes. "You can have these if you want, I don't think I'll really wear them," she explained with a smile. I was speechless. No one has ever been this nice to me other than the boys. "Get better soon!" Sarah began walking away. 

"Thank-" I coughed after getting a frog stuck in my throat. "Thank you!" I called out just as Sarah left my view. 

"You're welcome!" She called back and I looked back up to Mrs. Jacobs.