Chapter 15

"Okay, Jack, we can do this," I said softly, trying to motivate us a little. In all honesty, I needed the motivation more than Jack. I did not want to betray the newsies. Everyone would hate us but we are trying to help them. Maybe if we try to explain the situation we were put in..? 

A simple joke of an idea got us here, this was my fault. If I did not share that idea, we would not be here. We would not be in this mess.

Pulitzer let us out of the cellar to go to the theater but we were followed by one of his employees. Probably so we don't break the promise. 

Once we got to the theater, we stood to the back. Davey was up on the stage by himself doing his speech, which I am pretty sure he was coming up with on the fly. We watched him from behind the crowd of newsies, making sure we would not be seen. 

I watched Davey with loving eyes flickering to sorrow and nervousness. Feeling my palms grow sweaty, I wiped them on the skirt. Dread rose over my body so much I felt sick. Sick of being treated like garbage by Pulitzer and sick of being here where I know I am going to become someone the boys will look down upon now. 

"Tonight, we declare that we are just as much a part of the newspaper as any reporter or editor. We dare done being treated like kids!" Davey shouted to the newsies, his eyes full of determination. "From now on, they will treat us as equals! All right?" Davey finished and he got the response of clapping from the boys. I sent him a loving smile until Jack grabbed my arm and pulled me over to him. 

"Wanna be talked to as an adult, start actin' like one, don't just run your mouth. Make some sense," Jack shouted to Davey before leaning to my ear. "Stop making googly eyes for five minutes, Y/N," he whispered and I felt my face blush. 

On  the way to the center, Jack pushed Davey to the side with his free hand and I gave him a look saying 'Sorry,' which he nodded to. However, Davey was shooting a concerned look our way until Jack let go of me. 

"And here's Jack and Y/N!" Davey announced, shouting so the whole theater could hear.  

The boys started chanting our names causing me to get even more nervous. My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty and I was shaking. We needed to get this done and fast. 

"All right!" Jack shouted, shutting the boys up. He looked at me, giving me a small nod, telling me to start talking. I looked at him with wide eyes and he looked mad. I took a shaky breath and complied with Jack to start talking. 

"Pulitzer," I heard my voice shake. I coughed a little before continuing. "Raised the price of papes without so much as a word to us and that was a lousy thing to do," I paused and the boys all agreed with what I said. Jack picked up from where I left off. 

"So, we got mad and we showed 'em we ain't gonna be pushed around," he gradually raised his voice. "So we go on strike. And then what happens?" He asked rhetorically. 

"Well, Pulitzer lowers the price of pap so we'll go back to work!" I answered anyway, feeling my anxiety slowly leave. 

I still knew something bad was going to happen. The boys smiled and cheered. I raised my hand telling them to quiet down. 

"And then a few weeks after that, he hikes up his price again, and don't think he won't. So what do we do then?" I asked, looking everywhere but at Davey. "And what do we do when he  decides to raise his price again after that?" I heard my voice crack and my emotions were beginning to overpower my will. "Fellas, we gotta be realistic here! If we don't work, we don't get paid," I continued shouting. I turned around to see Davey right behind me. All of the anxiety that had left had returned once more.