Chapter 10

It was not too late, since Davey and I had just finished eating and were now sitting on the fire escape outside of the living room window. We were leaning against the wall, looking up at the sky. I was admiring the moon. 

"Can I ask you something?" Davey asked, glancing over to me. His was fiddling with his hands in his lap. 

"Ask away," I smiled, still mesmerized by the bright moon. It managed to light up the whole city by itself and it is nowhere near as bright as the sun. 

"I understand if you don't want to answer but, umm-" He took a deep breath before continuing. "Why is Snyder after you?" He asked as he tensed up his whole body. I turned my head to look at him. 

"I stole some stuff," I replied simply before deciding to be more specific. I sighed before continuing. "There are kids at the Refuge who don't get fed or have clothes on their backs. They're just skin and bones. They end up in real bad shape, Davey. They get abused by the guards. If they say jump, you better jump or you're gonna get one hell of a beating," I let out a breathy laugh as I felt tears build up in my eyes again. "I also tried to petition against the Refuge, trying to get it shut down. It didn't work but ever since, Snyder has been working even harder to get me locked up," I explained, a tear or two escaping and running down my cheeks. Davey reached over and wiped them away with his thumb. I smiled. 

"The moon is so pretty tonight," Davey smiled, looking up at the sky again. I could tell he was trying to change the subject and cheer me up instead of making me dwell on the past. He feels bad. I looked up and my eyes immediately got drawn to it. 

"Yeah," I agreed. "But it isn't as great as Santa Fe," my face hardened a little as I said that. I forgot that Santa Fe was still a plan with Jack and Crutchie. 

"Wait, what? You're still hung up on Santa Fe?" Davey asked, turning his head to look at me. He furrowed his eyebrows as he awaited a response. I looked at him. 

"Yeah, I am. It's been a plan for a while, Davey," I explained to him before looking back up to the moon. 

"What's so special about Santa Fe?" Davey shot back, getting agitated. "Can you please answer that for me?"

"While we're on the topic of the moon," I started, also getting annoyed. "It's bigger in Santa Fe," I said, crossing my arms with a smirk. 

"That's ridiculous, the moon is the same size wherever you are," Davey furrowed his eyebrows. I looked at him and sighed, my smirk getting wiped off of my face. 

"I know that, but it just seems like there's a pull, a connection-" Davey cut me off. 

"You've never been there!" He argued.

"And you have?" I snapped back. He looked at me knowingly before he sighed.

 "So, the moon is bigger in Santa Fe. Honestly," he paused, looking up at the large glowing sphere in the sky. I studied his face as the bright light of the moon defined his features. "Moon, a natural satellite of the earth."  I watched as his eyebrows furrowed and his face hardened to become more stern. 

[Davey]
This is the truth about the moon
The facts are black and white
And yet I couldn't think of one
While watching it tonight

I looked down at my hands which were now in my lap playing with the fabric of the skirt I had on. Out of nowhere I felt Davey's gaze hitting the back of my head and I froze. 

I saw the words all fly away
So fast, so far
Till every letter, every number
Had turned into a star

And was the moon especially bright?
I really can't recall
And this was the first time the facts of the matter
Didn't matter at all