Chapter 13

I was writing down ideas for Kathrine's paper. I was not able to write down much because my 'Creative juices' were not flowing.

The potential title could be 'The Children's Crusade' or 'Cry for Help' something along those lines. The actual stuff was tricky. However, I was able to get something good on the paper. I also left little notes of which quotes would seem to fit the best in this type of writing. 

"Y/N! Kathrine's here!" Davey appeared in front of me. I looked up at him and stood up. I folded up the paper and held it tightly in my left hand while my right hand held on to Davey's as we left the lodge. "What's the paper?"

"Ideas for the banner thing she wants to write. I figured I could give her some of my ideas like this, ya know?" I looked up at him and he nodded. Bending down to my height, he pecked my forehead and I felt my cheeks heat up. "Wha--"

"Just because," he cut me off before speeding up his pace. We walked out of the doors and onto the sidewalk where Kathrine and Les were waiting for us. 

"Well you two are looking as cute as ever," Kathrine joked, letting out a small laugh. I did a small curtsy with the skirt with a small smirk. 

"Why thank you," I went along with whatever was happening and we all chuckled. I handed Kathrine the paper of ideas I had and she took it with a smile. 

"Are you two like mom and dad now?" Les asked Davey innocently. He looked up with a confused expression on his face but still had a smile. 

"No, Les, nowhere near it," Davey laughed out and I heard him mutter something under his breath as he glanced at me. 

"Huh?" I let go of his hand and punched his arm softly. 

"What?" He asked, smiling down at me. 

"You say somethin', punk?" I punched his arm a few more times. "You wanna go?" I laughed out. 

"Ow." Davey said softly, rubbing his arm where I punched him. Kathrine was holding in a laugh and her hand was in the way of her mouth. We all knew she was smiling. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't think I was hurting you-" 

"Can we get goin'? I have plans later!" Les was clearly agitated at our bickering. We all stopped what we were doing and looked down at him. 

"Yeah." 

"Sure."

"Let's go."

"But if you're running away, nowhere is ever the right place," Medda was talking to Jack as Davey and I ran into the theater. Kathrine and Les were taking their time. Medda had her arm on her hand, probably trying to make him feel better about the situation the newsies were in. 

"How about lettin' a pal know you're alive?" Davey called to Jack from our entrance to the theater. We both ran down to be face to face with Jack and Medda. 

"Why don't I leave you with your friends," Medda said to Jack. I could hear the smile in her voice. She walked away before I could greet her. 

"Where did you go?" I asked, clearly upset with Jack as Davey and I walked up to him. Jacked eyed me as I came up to him, I saw his eyes looked over my body, slightly confused. 

"We couldn't find ya." Davey was also upset. However, Jack was even more upset. He was mad and annoyed. 

"You ever think I didn't wanna be found?" Jack shot back, bending down to the paint buckets at his feet. 

"Hey, is that a real place?" Davey asked, gesturing to the painting Jack was working on. It was of mountains. "That Santa Fe?" He asked another question, this time making it sound like a topic that should be kept secretive.