Chapter 1

I heard yelling as my E/C eyes fluttered open, quickly squinting to the newfound brightness making its way into my vision. I slowly sat up and tried to make my eyes adjust to the light. I guess I fell asleep on the floor in the corner with newspaper and stolen art mediums around me. It was not the first time, but it most certainly will not be the last.

"F/N! What are you'se doin' on the floor?" I looked up to see the tall male in front of me. His wide smile and knowing eyes telling me he did not need an answer, but liked hearing one anyways.

"I fell asleep like this, Jack," I answered in a groggy voice from just waking up and holding out my hand for him to pull me up. "You'se need to get new clothes soon, your pants are getting shorter on you each day." Jack grabbed my small hand with his strong calloused hand and pulled me up to stand. I crouched down again to clean my messy area on the floor. 

"Yeah, but they still fit," he pointed out a fact I could not argue against. 

"Touché," I laughed and carried my supplies over to my unused bed, then made my way to the bathroom to begin preparing for the day ahead of me. 

"Hey, that's my cigar!" A voice shouted as I walked into the decently large washroom. Racetrack, he is a giant dork with a gambling problem and a close friend of mine. He goes out to place bets on which horse he thinks will win at Sheepshed Races and never fails to come back with more money in his pockets than he left with. He also always had a cigar in his mouth which he never lit. 

"You'll steal anotha!" Albert shouted back as I began to brush my teeth next to the arguing boys. He and Race were always bickering about something, this was one of those times. Albert and Race were pretty close friends so of course nothing bad was going to come out of this situation. 

"Hey, look! It's bath time at the zoo!" Specs yelled out the obvious, as us newsies have a great view of the zoo from this high up in the lodge. 

"I thought that I'd surprise my motha," Henry announced, I did not know him as well as Race or Jack, but that was adorable. 

"If you could find 'er," Albert challenged, jokingly. I spat out the toothpaste and looked at him along with the other newsies in the room.

"Who asked you?" We all yelled at him as we began finishing up getting ready to start selling papers.

"Papes ain't sellin' like they used to," Albert explained his frustrations as most of the newsies left the bathroom. Soon only Race, Albert, Finch and myself were in there. "I think I need a new sellin' spot." Albert walked up to Finch then turned back to Race and myself. "Got any ideas?"

[Race]
From bottle alley to the harbor
There's easy pickings guaranteed 

[Finch]
Try any banker, bum or barber
They almost all knows how to read

At this point, the three boys had left and I was the only one in the bathroom. I put  my hair up in a low, messy bun and put on my newsboy cap. I looked at myself in the mirror before leaving the bathroom. I had a bruise on my left jawline and a the reminisce of a black eye from last week. I wore an old red plaid shirt with suspenders and a vest with pants that were a little too big for my petite frame. I smiled at myself and began heading out of the bathroom, finding my place next to Jack. We were all scattered around the building, making adjustments or still getting ready.

[Jack]
It's a crooked game we're playin'
One we'll never lose

[Y/N]
Long as suckers don't mind payin'
Just to get bad news