Chapter 6

A new day began and the circulation bell rang. I stood next to Race, and the rest of the boys were scattered around. We were all waiting for the circulation building. 

"You'se were drawing da new kid," Race looked at me, he shot a curious gaze in my direction. 

"What? I'se draw people all the time, nothing big," I defended, crossing my arms, feeling a little bit of pink rushing over my cheeks. "Besides, it's not like we'se could sleep. Them sirens were a pain in my butt," I sighed, rubbing my tired eyes with the back of my hands because the front were covered in graphite or coal. 

"Man, them fire sirens kept me awake all night!" Race complained, completely erasing the subject of Davey from the conversation. 

"Sirens is like lullabies to me," Mush began. He turned and pointed towards Romeo and Albert. "The louder they wail, the better the headline. The better the headline, the better I eat. The better I eat-" I cut him off.

"The further away from you-," I pointed at Mush. "I sleep," I finished, pointing at myself. A few seconds later I put my arm down. Crutchie silently laughed and turned away as Mush tried to scare me off by puffing his chest. I did it back with a smirk.

"Morning, everybody," I heard the voice of Davey Jacob as he came toward us. I looked over to see him and Les holding hands. Aww. "Sorry we're late," they let go of each other. "We had to help our mom with something." 

"Oh, they've got a mother. I was gonna get me one," Race walked away from me, about to hit him, putting his cigar in his mouth. 

"What'd you do with the one you had?" Romeo asked from behind a wagon, near Albert. 

"He traded her for a box of cigars," Finch answered for Race. 

"Hey, they was Coronas!" Race shot back defensively as he held up Finch by the collar of his shirt. 

"Race, let go," I gave him a hard glare and he let released the shirt from his grasp. I knew nothing bad was going to happen but Les does not need to think that playing hard was how to treat his friends. Maybe when he is older, but not now. 

"We have a father, too!" Les exclaimed, not understanding what was making everyone upset. 

"A mother and a father!" Finch smiled and him and Race shared a joke. 

"Ain't we the hoi polloi?" Race asked loudly, hitting Finch in the chest with the back of his hand. Finch pointed at the two brothers. I made eye contact with Davey and gave an expression that said 'Sorry.' Race looked at me suspiciously. 

"So, how is it going today?" Les asked everyone so innocently like the little boy he is. He stepped up a few feet so he was a little bit ahead of his brother. 

"Ask me after the put up the headline," Race answered for pretty much everyone. 

I began walking over to the two brothers and felt a stare piercing my back. I glanced behind me to see that Race was watching me. I faced forward again. I patted Les's head, forcing the hat lower onto his head. He looked up while fixing it while giving me a hard glare before looking back up. I stood next to Davey. 

"Here it comes now!" Les announced, pointing up at the sign that held the headline for the day.

"'New newsie price. 60 cents per 100.'" Albert read aloud, standing up from his spot on the papers and walking closer. 

"What'd ya say?"

"It that news?"

"It is to me!" 

"They jacked up the price of papes, ten cents more 100," Albert explained to us. I stared in disbelief. 

"I could eat two days on a dime!" Finch said angrily, gesturing up to the sign.