-22-

"Pew...pew..."

Complete and utter darkness. The small cloud-like Pokémon was alone in an endless void. It looked around in confusion. It's whole body ached, but there were no wounds on its body. It floated in the black emptiness. "Pew?"

"Calm, little one." a voice boomed from behind the Pokémon. It struggled to turn its body, but the pain dwarfed its energy. "Pew..."

"Stress not," the voice again echoed. The Pokémon felt a powerful aura shift behind it. From the corner of its eyes, a white shape began to appear. The huge Pokémon now stood face to face with the pitiful cloud. "I am Arceus, creator of existence." the Pokémon explained.

Cosmog no longer felt the pain tormenting its body, replaced with awe at the sight of the creator of the Pokémon world. It wanted to speak, but Arceus's gaze kept it silent.

Arceus paced in front of Cosmog. "The Aether Organization has begun its experiments on you. Back in reality, the cage you are in forced all of the energy out of you to try to open an Ultra Wormhole."

Fear rushed through Cosmog's veins. Lusamine's smug face was glued to the back of its eyes. All of a sudden there was a flash, and here it was...wherever this was. "Pew?"

Arceus lowered its head. "You are in the limbo between life and death, Cosmog," Arceus said bluntly. "As long as Aether's experiments continue, you will drift in and out of consciousness, and therefore in and out of this world."

The small Pokémon pleaded for help.

"It is not that simple, small one," Arceus said. "I cannot simply meddle in human and Pokémon affairs on Earth. I am not a wrathful creator anymore: they are not toys to be played with." it said, it's solemn voice filled with the emotion of memories. "I can and will however, interfere indirectly: I will keep you alive and take away as much of the pain I can."

"Pew?" Cosmog asked.

"That's it, you say?" Arceus repeated. "Well, I can promise you one other thing..."

Cosmog managed to lean forward in anticipation.

"There will be a trainer...a trainer who you come to your rescue. And with that trainer, you will fulfill your destiny: becoming the Pokémon who harnesses the power of the sun."

Arceus began to slowly fade away. Cosmog cried out in desperation.

"You are drifting back into consciousness. It is time we part ways." the Alpha Pokémon said.

Cosmog called out one last question to Arceus.

"The trainer? Well...she is warmth hidden in the whitest of snow."

That wasn't an answer! Cosmog's cries echoed through the dark as it felt itself disconnect from the void.

—-
"Experiment unsuccessful." an Aether employee reported.

"Well, lets try something else!" another one said in frustration.

Pain once again rushed through Cosmog's body, although it wasn't as bad now. Arceus had kept its promise. It was still dark, but now a square of light was directly in front of Cosmog. It dragged itself to the metal bars in the square to peer outside.

The cage was now on a table, in the middle of a lab. Cosmog could see a wall with shatterproof glass and two Aether scientists on the other side of the room. This was where the experiments were taking place.

Cosmog desperately tried to use Teleport: it was no use, something was wrong with its Psychic abilities. It shrunk back in defeat.

A door opened somewhere on the other side of the wall. "Here's that book you two wanted."

"Thank you, Natasha." one of the scientists replied.

Natasha...

Cosmog recognized that name. She was one of the ones who captured it. It once again dragged itself to the metal bars to look at the teenage girl.

Natasha looked through the glass and at the cage. The two being's eyes locked each other's gaze. Natasha saw the pain in the Pokémon's eyes. She had seen that agony only one other time: Gladion's eyes as the Team Skull Grunt revealed his dark past to everyone at the school.

She forced herself to tear her gaze away and ignore Cosmog's sad cries. She quickly hurried out the room and slammed the door behind her as Cosmog's cries began growing louder. Her legs refused to move any farther. Instead, she slowly sank to the ground.

Her face felt wet. Tears. First a few, then they came rushing out of her eyes.

She couldn't do this anymore.