Twenty ~ Sparkle

"That was the best meal I've ever had," I honestly say, bringing my hand up to my mouth to muffle a burp.

"I have to agree with you, Al. Mum, Georgie, you ladies did a fantastic job on the Shepherd's Pie."

"Thank you both for the flattering compliments," Mrs. Hughes smiles. "I couldn't tell you liked it from your third go-around."

"Ha! I guess you have a bottomless pit, too. Hey, Tommy?"

"Yeah," he sits back in his chair, patting his protruding stomach and we all start laughing. "Alright, alright, since you ladies did the cooking, the men will do the dishes. Are you with me, Al?"

"Yeah, sure."

"That sounds fair, doesn't it, Georgina?"

"Yeah," she says, fitting her eyes to mine. "Or I can help, if you'd like."

"That's nonsense," Tommy gently nudges her side with his elbow. "You did the hard part; the cooking. Why don't you get everything you need for your Science project and Al and I will come help when we're finished, yeah?"

Georgina nods and stands from the table, smoothing out her dress. She pushes in her chair, glancing over at me and I quickly look away.

Shit! She saw me staring.

"Uhm, what do ya say we get started on these dishes, Tommy?" I stand up from the table, gathering a few plates and I hurry over to the sink.

Rolling my eyes at my juvenile behavior, I grab the sponge and squeeze it under the hot stream of water. I take the first plate and start to scrub, making use of this time to lecture myself.

You have to get a grip, Alex. You can't be sweet on Georgina. She's Tommy's little sister. You can't have feelings for her.

"I guess this means I'm on towel duty," Tommy startles me out of my thoughts, causing me to spill some soapy water on my shirt. "Easy there, Al. Y'know, you've been acting very strange today. Why is that?"

Although he's questioning me, the look on his face tells me that he already knows the reason and I just want to crawl under the sink and die.

Remain calm, Alex.

"No reason," I mumble, turning my attention back to the sink. After rinsing the plate under the hot water, I hand him the plate and reach into the sink for the next one. "It's just the stress of my first day at a new job."

Tommy hums in a taunting manner, setting the clean plate on the counter and he holds out his hand for the next one, which I give to him.

"How long have you worked at your uncle's shop?"

"Our father and Uncle Irwin took over the store when Pappy passed away fifteen years ago, so Virgil and I practically grew up in the store. Fixing clocks is my passion. I suppose when I become of age, Uncle will bring me in as a partner, but it's up to him."

"Is that what you want to do for a living?"

"To follow in my grandfather's and father's footsteps, yeah. I think I can make them proud."

"I bet they're already proud of you, Tommy."

"Thanks, mate," he smiles softly and I can tell that compliment meant something to him.

Silence fills the kitchen while we finish the dishes and I dry my hands on the towel.

"Wanna help me and Georgie with her Science project?"

"W-what? Uhm, I dunno how much help I'll be. I didn't finish school."

"You can paint, can't ya?" he asks and I shrug a shoulder. "C'mon, it'll be fun."