Nineteen ~ Waiting

"It's quittin' time, lads," Mr. Hughes announces.

Sighing in relief, I take off my protective glasses and set them on the table. I rub my eyes and stand up from the stool, letting out a yawn.

"Eight hours too much for ya, lad?" Ronald snickers and I look over at him, willing myself not to tell him off.

Treat him with kindness, Alex. You don't want Mr. Hughes to fire you on your first day. You need this job.

"Yeah, I guess so, Ron," I agree and he grabs his thermos before walking away.

I smile proudly at my mature response and I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Don't let him get to you," Mr. Hughes says. "He'll warm up to you. Ron's had a rough year, to put it lightly."

Haven't we all?

I nod in acknowledgment so I don't come across as disrespectful and Tommy comes rushing over.

"C'mon, Alex, oh, sorry to interrupt, Uncle Irwin."

"It's alright, son. What do you need?"

"Nothing, well, just Alex. If we leave now, we can get Georgie from her school and walk home together."

"Okay, yeah, together, sure, of course," I clear my throat and he gives me a weird look. I turn to Mr. Hughes and extend my hand for him to shake. "Thank you again for this opportunity. I'm so grateful for this job."

"I know you are, son," he simply says. "Now you lads best be off. Don't make my niece wait any longer than necessary. Oh, and please tell her that Aunt Betty is feeling much better thanks to her soup."

"Will do, Uncle. See you tomorrow."

With one last wave, Tommy and I head out and I breathe in the cool fresh air. The sun hasn't set yet so it's giving off a golden hue in the sky which is quite beautiful and we start walking down the sidewalk.

"How was your first day?" Tommy asks.

"Oh, it was just swell, better than I thought, actually. The only thing . . . never mind."

"No, mate, tell me," Tommy presses. "Did something happen?"

"No, not really, but what's the matter with that Ronald fellow? Is he rude to everyone or just new employees?"

"Oh. Ronald. He's had a-"

"Rough year," I chime in, rolling my eyes. "Your uncle said that. But haven't we all? I mean, you and I went to war but you don't see us treating people rudely."

"Alright, you wanna know the truth?"

"Well, yeah, if I have to work with the bloke every day, I at least want to understand why he's rude to me."

"Okay, I'll tell you, but swear you won't say anything."

"I swear."

"Ronnie's wife left him and took the kids, four with a set of twins, I think, anyways, that was after he caught her in bed with his own brother. Turns out they had been having an affair for years."

"Wow, that's terrible," I shake my head at the thought, shoving my hands in my pocket and I feel the note.

"If it's so terrible, then why are you smiling?"

"Hm? I-I'm not smiling cos of that, I'm just-" I clear my throat. "So, how close are we to Georgina's school?"

"Couple blocks. Y'know, I've gotta say you're acting weird, even for you."