Nine ~ Truce

"Get in there, you little shit," I mutter to myself as I tighten the last rusty screw in the light fixture. I glance down and it appears that Mrs. Hughes is too preoccupied with cooking supper to notice my curse word and I exhale in relief. "Thank God."

You have to be more careful, Alex. Nothing says that she has to let you stay here.

"Supper is just about ready," she says and I hear my stomach rumble as if on cue. "Will you tell Georgina to come set the table, please?"

"Yes, ma'am, of course," I say and carefully step down from the kitchen chair. I brush my hand over the seat to remove the dirt from my shoes before pushing it back to the table. "Do you hear that, Mrs. Hughes?"

"Hear what, love?" she asks, turning from the stove and she gives me a curious look. "I don't hear anything."

"Exactly," I smirk and proudly glance up at the kitchen light. "I fixed it."

"Oh, that's wonderful, Alex. Thank you so much. Now I can finally hear myself think while I cook," she jokes and I oblige her with a smile. "I'm smelling the Shepherd's Pie now. Will you get Georgina, please?"

"Yes, ma'am and I'll tell her to hurry cos this smell is making me hungrier."

She thanks me with a cordial smile before turning her attention back to the stove and I walk out of the kitchen.

As I make my way upstairs, I quietly rehearse what I'm going to say to Georgina. Lord knows I won't actually tell her to hurry because for one, that's not very gentlemanly and the main reason is because I think she'd take a swing at me. It seems like everything I say seems to offend the lassie, so I need to choose my words carefully.

As I near her closed bedroom door, I feel my heart beat faster in anticipation and my palms become sweaty. Even though she's four years younger than me, she makes me nervous, more like frightens me and I'm glad no one's around to witness this.

"Here goes," I exhale my nerves and lightly tap my knuckles on the door. "Georgina?"

"I'm not decent!" she shouts through the door and my eyes widen at the tantalizing thought. "Who is it?"

"It's Alex. Supper is almost ready and your mum would like for you to set the table," I clear my throat, shifting my weight in my new loafers, "please."

I hear muffled words coming closer and the door opens.

"And why can't you set the table?" Georgina challenges, crossing her arms and I notice how the pale pink color of her dress compliments her porcelain skin tone. "Hello?"

"Oh, uhm," I awkwardly clear my throat and fit my eyes to hers, "I have no problem with helping you, Georgina, but she asked for you to do it," I explain and her harsh expression softens. "I'll even have Tommy help when he comes home from his 'special meeting.'"

"He's already home," she quips with disdain in her tone. "He's in the loo. Now if you'll pardon me, I have to set the table."

"Wait, Georgina, just listen to me for one second," I beg and she sighs heavily, raising her eyebrows in anticipation. "I know we started off on the wrong foot, y'know, with me scaring you half to death and you throwing apples at me, but I was thinking we could start over; call a truce, if you will, and just be friends."

She stares at me for an awkward amount of time and I'm starting to wonder if we'll ever get along.

Maybe it would be best if I just stay somewhere else. But I have nowhere to go.

"Alright, Mr. Rutherford," she says with a hint of a smile and she extends her hand. "Truce."

"Okay, truce, and please call me Alex," I smile and shake her hand. "There; that wasn't so difficult, now was it?" I tease and she shakes her head with a smile, slipping her hand from mine. "Now, would you like me to help you set the table?"

"Sure, Alex," she says with a blushed smile and I can tell she senses the awkward silence as well.

"Right, so, I'll get Tommy and we'll meet you down there."

Georgina nods in agreement and I move to the side for her to walk by. I'm found speechless as I breathe in the sweet scent of vanilla and spice perfume because it brings the beautiful thought of Dottie to mind.

I miss you, darling.

I shake my head for clarity, exhaling my nervous breath and walk over to the loo.

"Tommy?" I call out, tapping my knuckles on the door and he answers. "Supper's ready," I step back and he opens the door. "Wait. Why are you so smiley?"

"Jimmy proposed."

"He did?" I ask in shock and he nods with the brightest smile. "Wow, congratulations, mate, but how-, I mean, what about the law?"

"Fuck the law!" he laughs obnoxiously loud, raking his hand through his neatly combed hair. "I'm in love, Alex and want to spend the rest of my life with him."

"I understand, but-"

"No, you don't," he cuts me off and his happy demeanor changes. "You said you don't have a girl so how can you possibly understand what I'm feeling right now?"

"I had a girl, alright?" I defensively say and his jaw drops. "I had a girl, that is until she said she never wanted to see me again." Tommy stays silent as if he's interested in my sob story, so I continue. "My darling's last words to me were 'I never loved you and I need to marry a man who can read.'"

The quietness only makes this moment worse and the memory of that terrible day floods my mind. Tommy's sad expression is blurred for a second until I blink the tears away and I huff out a frustrated breath.

"I'm really sorry, Alex. That's terrible," he pats my shoulder and I nod in agreement. "But who knows? Maybe she didn't meant it."

"How can someone say those things and not mean it, for fuck's sake?" I rhetorically ask and he shrugs a shoulder. "I proposed to her like a bloody idiot, Tommy, and she said yes."

"So you were engaged?"

"For a whole two hours, until her parents found out, and then she broke my heart in half. It's been five years and I'm still over the moon for her. I've gone over it in my head, trying to figure out what I did wrong, and I just don't know," I sigh, bringing my hand up to casually dry my tears. "S'rry," I sheepishly say and he waves it off. "Your mum's probably wondering where we are."

Tommy nods, still not saying anything and it's starting to worry me.

He's only quiet when he's sleeping.

Tommy turns out the light to the loo and we make our way down the hallway, still in silence. I take in a deep breath and exhale it slowly to calm myself so I don't cause suspicion at the supper table and I feel the touch of Tommy's hand on my shoulder.

"I can help you look for her, if you want."***

A/N: Things are gonna get interesting so buckle up, buttercup 😂

Gee, I wonder if Tommy and Alex will be able to find Dottie...🤔😂

Much Love.
❤️❤️❤️❤️