Chapter 22 ~ Human

Chapter 22 ~ Human

* Macy's POV *

I wiped the back of my hand over my sweaty forehead. I stopped walked and dipped my head back. I tried to breathe properly and to stop my eyes from closing, I could feel black spots invading my vision. I was fatigued despite staying in so many lavish hotels. I wasn't permitted to sleep, it was a luxury I wasn't granted.

Now I'm hiking up a mountain which I believe we will stay for about 30 seconds before we'll lumber back down it. The whole thing was a game to them or rather a puppet show because I was more or less being controlled and if I even tried to resist I knew what my consequence was. It was actually becoming tedious, I wanted to know the actual point of it all.

I was too busy in my own thoughts to realise that there was unstable ground further ahead. Crooked rocks were intertwined with branches, a trail of moss accumulated on the cool surface and I could make out little insects taking the same kind of journey I was. I could evidently see that there was a clearer path, it was sloped land which I was sure would take us wherever we needed to go. But we had to take the path that could potentially lead to my death.

I wasn't clumsy, I was graceful due to my vampire tendencies. However, I had the futile habit to switch off at the wrong times. I dragged out a long breath, eyeing the obstacle and then shifting my eyes to Ash. He climbed over effortlessly, without a backwards glance. I could leave right now but he wouldn't even know. I pulled a face when I realised that Selestia would be meeting with us soon, I wasn't safe in an area like that.

"Get moving!" Ash ordered. I was still looking at him but I didn't realise that he had already turned around. His blue eyes weren't so electric anymore, they looked like shards of ice, it was so easy for him to stab me. 

I wanted to ask that, if we were in such a rush why didn't we just run. I'm pretty sure we were miles away from any means of humanity. "I'm tired," I complained. I still hadn't made a step forward, I looked back at the rocks, they looked more lethal than before.

"I don't care, now come on before I drag you," he spat. I looked at the ground and smiled for a moment, I certainly wouldn't mind being dragged by you.

"Be my guest." I held my hand for him to take, he looked at me in disgust. He didn't like my chattiness but I didn't care, I knew that there was much more to him than he would ever let me know. Consciously that is, I take very good care of his subconscious mind.

Every time he had fallen asleep in my presence I took advantage of him. I slipped in his dreams even though he'd hate me even more when he wakes up. It's my only luxury in our endeavour. Maybe it's stupid of me but the heart wants what the heart wants.

As anticipated he growled and then looked away, continuing with our conquest. I lumbered forward and over the rocks hoping that I'd fall and bang my head so I'll fall unconscious so he could carry me. However, I knew that wouldn't happen, he would heal me before there would be any carrying. I drew out a long breath and stepped along the trail, I jumped off the rock afterwards and nearly fell to the ground, but I balanced myself.

Ash held out a tree branch for me, I mumbled a 'thank you' and took it from his grasp and I let it swing back into shape. I could feel the land getting steeper and the scent of different chemicals wafted to my nose. I smelt the sunlight before I felt it. It was bright but it was cold and still managed to make Ash and I look like diamonds.

"So where exactly are we going?" I asked nonchalantly. I saw him ever so slightly turn his head to me confirming he had heard me but his silence told me he didn't want to answer. Either that or he didn't know himself. "Come on Ash, please tell me," I whined.