Chapter 11 ~ Distrust

* Max's POV *

I ran my hand over my face for at least the millionth time. Everything that was happening wasn't real and if it was, then it was a very cruel twist of fate.

Amelia is dead. That isn't Amelia. How could it be? She's dead. It doesn't make any sense, why is she here? Aren't I supposed to be getting over her? It's been 17 years. It doesn't matter if there's sparks, or if her eyes twinkled in the same way. She had no memories, so it obviously wasn't Amelia.

"I don't understand why you are so distressed about this. Amelia is here. She's back into our lives." I ignored my Mom. She didn't understand.

How could she not have any memories and here?

I heard footsteps. Someone slowly strolled down the staircase and made their way to this room. What could she possibly want?

She appeared at the threshold and her eyes immediately locked with mine. I tried not to crumble and I tried not to get angry. Her eyes were a stranger to me. They were blank and held no underlying meaning. She felt nothing.

The tension that grew made me ponder how I still managed to breathe and why I hadn't passed out yet.

"Amelia! It's been so long; I missed you so much. Max has been such a grumpy pants without you," my Dad said casually. My eyes flashed to him. It was so disconcerting that no one was affected apart from me. She did arise from the dead after all.

Amelia gave him a blank look. She didn't know what to say. Well, of couse she didn't know what to say, she doesn't know who he is. "I'm your Father in Law by the way. Max's Dad," he introduced.

She nodded. "I don't know if I should say 'nice to meet you' or 'it's great to see you again'," she replied simply.

How could she sound the same?

"Your memories should come with time, depending on how often they are triggered," Uncle Edward answered knowingly. He sat next to his wife, Aunt Bella who was looking at Amelia like she had returned from Mars.

Ness sat with Jacob, Grandma sat with Grandpa and Aunt Alice sat with Uncle Jasper. Is this some sort of conspiracy?

I noticed that Avery wasn't in sight and remembered that Elijah turned her human so she could sleep. She didn't want to be involved in this madness.

Amelia nodded once again. She remained in the threshold and I took that as a sign. Life is like a room, people walk in and they walk out but sometimes someone stays in the threshold and that's when you decide to invite them in or kick them out.

"So, what exactly happened?" My Mom asked her.

Amelia bit her lip in the way I knew that she was thinking about her response but, of course, she wouldn't know that. "My eyes just opened and I was in a box. I dug myself out and read the gravestone. I read the letter that was in the slip. It was confusing because I knew nothing but I could still remember writing down the words. I didn't remember why though."

"Are you planning on staying here?" Ness asked casually.

A black cloud invaded my mind, my breathing became shallow and my hands shook.

Amelia paused so I answered for her. "No she isn't."

* Amelia's POV *

My eyebrows furrowed when Max answered for me. Maybe my heart should've ached a little when he blatantly spoke but I felt curious.

I pursed my lips and dared myself to meet his eyes once more. "I know it must hurt, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what happened," I mumbled softly. His facial expression didn't phase. He remained impassive.

He looked blank, almost as blank as I felt and unlike him, I wasn't holding back.

"Clearly not. You turn up with the nerve without remembering a thing," he spat. My eyes widened and I felt out of place.

What am I supposed to say to him? He has everything to hold against me and I can't remember a thing.

"Max, what's wrong with you?" The woman next to him questioned. She was flawless and according to the family pictures Elijah had showed me earlier, she was Max's Mom.

"You wanted us to talk. Look, we're talking," he retaliated.

I stared at him and tried to read into his exterior. He was angry but he was confused and shocked. He didn't know what to make of the situation. But he could feel while I was emotionless.

"I didn't want this to happen. It was out of my control. I know I wouldn't have wanted this to happen," I said.

He didn't listen.

"You're not Amelia," he stated harshly.

"Yes I am!" I argued.

"Then look at me, in the eyes, and tell me you remember me." His voice was low and dangerous. He was afraid that his voice would break. He was already shaking.

But why is he being like this?

"You know I don't have any memories!" I pointed out.

"What do you want?" He questioned, obviously not taking my other words to heed.

"What do you want me to do?" I countered.

Max has no answer. He grows tense and answers. "I want you to leave and never come back. You're dead to me."

I blinked a couple of times. I didn't feel anything; I wasn't sure if I should've.

Instead my thoughts immediately went towards my children. I couldn't leave them, not after just meeting them. "What about Macy and Eli? How could you do that to them?"

"They lived without you before so they could do it again," he answered simply. He wasn't serious was he?

My right hand curled into a fist. "Do you even love them?"

"What does that have to do with anything?"

He doesn't love them. Of course he didn't. How could he? I died and he died with me. He's just the outer shell of the man I once had feelings for.

"I guess I have my answer," I mused sourly. "You know, maybe I don't remember you but I refuse to believe I'd marry such a cold-hearted man. And, if you really want me to leave, I will."

"Amelia, you can't -" Max's Mom started. I cut her off.

"I can and I'm sorry. I hope we get to reconvene one day. Max is right, the children have lived without me so they can continue that way. But I will stay goodbye to them in the morning."

My eyes flashes to Max. "What about you're parents and Damien? They're coming really soon," she pointed out. I shook my head but continued to stare at Max.

He better be happy.

"They're just going to have to understand."

*~*~*~*~*~*

And that chapter is extremely short. I'm sorry about that, it was supposed to have more but I decided to split the chapter in half.

I've done a little planning. Until chapter fourteen, I just need a little inspiration.... any suggestions? I have a plot and all but yeah... you know....

NEXT UPLOAD: Well I updated a day early... I don't know when because I have exams for a week and a half at the end of November and I haven't started to revise.... um... soon? Yeah, soon.

I love you guys. Thanks for the support <3

Ciao ~ Ami xD