Chapter 18 ~ Betrayal

* Max's POV *

It seemed to be some sort of habit, we'd be here minding our own business and a cloaked figure emerges from the trees. I could only see the tip of his chin, and I knew it was Aro. He took his hood off.

"Hello," he greeted. We all stared at him as if it was some sort of trick or distraction.

"What are you doing here? Where are they?" My fists shook with rage, he seriously wasn't just showing up after an hour of taking the children, right?

"No need to be upset." His voice was irritatingly tranquil. "They are in great care."

"That's bullshit. Where are they?" I seethed. He gave me an innocent look, his lips curved up slightly.

"I know not," he replied. I growled at him. "Now, let us speak like civilised beings." He looked over to Amelia, his smile widening.

"If you join the Volturi you can see your children," he offered.

"I don't trust you."

"Pity. This feud could have ended."

"It can end now. Where are they? Why have you taken them Aro?" Amelia's voice was stricken with rage even though she looked vulnerable. I didn't really want her to say anything to Aro. It was between him and I, even if they were her children too.

"Patience Amelia."

"We will find them," I assured him.

"Good luck." He looked over to Ash who was standing behind Amelia. The resemblance of the two was striking.

"Ash my boy. Why are you with them? Don't you know where your loyalty lies?"

"Excuse me?" I spat.

"Ash, my son. You did know that. The relationship he and your wife has is... unusual." He paused. "Nevertheless, Ash never fails me," He spoke. "Isn't that right, my boy?"

Ash looked at me and then Amelia. He stared at the side of Amelia's face for what it seemed to be an eternity. Finally, he snarled.

"I will never betray you Father." Aro raised an eyebrow, sceptical at first and then held out his hand. Ash traipsed past us and offered his hand. Aro clasped him and read his every thought.

"How delightful." My face contorted in confusion. "Ash here has no intention to help you any longer."

"Ash..." Amelia breathed out. Her voice sounded like it belonged in the forest, it was soft like a singing bird but still sharp enough to stab my heart.

"I would say I'm sorry but I'm not. You guys mean nothing to me, including your children. I'm sorry about the confusion but we are no longer on the same side," he revealed. I could tell the words splintered through Amelia but for me, it just confirmed my suspicions. My eyes narrowed.

"This feud can end," Aro reminded Amelia. He had voracious eyes. If Amelia ever joined the Volturi, he would have the most precious jewel of all.

They turned and walked away and really, I just wanted to attack. I wanted to literally rip of Aro's head, I just hoped in due time I would have the satisfaction. But time froze after that, Amelia obscured her face with her hands and I stared at where they had left. It was all two quick, everything had happened in two hours, maybe less.

I stepped forward figuring it was time to move forward but Amelia just stood. I think she was crying. "We have to carry on." She nodded, not showing her face. She rubbed her face which was tear streaked. "You're not seriously crying right? Did you actually trust him?" I couldn't hide the disbelief in my voice, a wave of futile rage swept over her.