Chapter 16 ~ Quest

Chapter 16 ~ Quest

* Max's POV *

I felt like it had been a while since I felt the winds ripping past me, but in reality it had only been about half an hour.  There was no scent woven in the air and neither was there an instinct that kicked it. It made me blind. The blur of green and brown continued until my feet stepped onto damp soil, we were by the marshes.

Ash froze, which simultaneously caused everyone to do the same. Everyone took a whiff of the air but nothing but the damp, mucky air wafted past us. Sea salt sat on my tongue and I strode towards Ash. "There's no scent," I hissed. He remained silent, unfazed, his eyebrows knitted together. He took a few steps to the ocean which caused my eyes to widen alarmingly, but then he stepped away and picked up some dirt. He held his palm out.

"Narissa's scent," he stated. Amelia skirted past me, the tips of her unruly hair brushed my shoulder, I froze. She walked past Ash and stopped when she had paced 15 steps.

"It stops here," she said. She looks around, back in the woods, out at sea and along the trail. "Maybe it's a gimmick."

"It's likely, I guess we have a start," Mom said. "It's time to split up." I took a few steps backwards so I was standing next to my Dad. He gave me a sideways glance and smirked.

"Right, so we've already decided. I'm going with Edward and Bella, Rose with Landon and Aubrey, then Jasper, Gabriel, Eva, then Damien, Hilary, Nahuel, then Avery and Alice as a two and finally, Ash, Max and Amelia," he bellowed, almost triumphantly. I staggered backwards.

"Oh hell no," I swore in disgust. Mom placed a firm hand on my shoulder and Dad told everyone that now was time to say goodbye to each other.

"Max," she started.

"What?" I snapped. She gave me a look, the snarl didn't leave my face.

"Stop this," she commanded. Unusually her face was impassive meaning she's being serious.

"Stop what? Stop being an asshole? Well, sorry if you put me with the one woman I hate, now is really not a good time." She rolled her eyes at me.

"I'm not telling you to kiss her or to renew your wedding vows! You're simply working together to find your children, if you're going to sit here and sulk it's not going to benefit Macy or Eli. Right now they need you and they need their Mother." I looked away from my Mother. I ran my hand over my face, tired. "I know that it is difficult for you to handle, but what are they handling right now? Think about them Max, please. If they have any hope on getting found they're hoping on you and Amelia. Do this for them."

"You don't understand..." I trailed in annoyance.

"I may not understand but I am still your Mother and I am choosing what I think is best for you and my grandkids. Honestly, one day you will thank me for this," she assured. I could tell by looking in her eyes that there was an ulterior motive. And everyone had that same motive.

"Don't hold your breath," I mumbled. I ignored the fact that she was a vampire and therefore didn't need to breathe anyway. I just looked over her shoulder to Amelia who was amiably talking to her family.

"Now that the harder part has ended, I have something else to say," she continued. I looked back at her and arched an eyebrow. Even though she was shorter than me and had to look up, she always seemed to be the taller one.

Mothers. Smh.

"It isn't going to kill me, is it?" I asked sourly.

She cracked a smile. "Not really, but you're probably not going to like it though."