Chapter 28- Ice Cold

Opal's P.O.V.

"Splatter, are we close?" My dad's hushed voice broke the cold winter air.

"Yeah, pretty damn close." I whispered back to him. "Dahlia's house has always been a hike to get to."

There in front of us stood my black haired friend's house. She actually used to be a sweet girl. It's my fault she turned into this slut. In fact, if we never met, I wouldn't be about to do what I was going to.

Her house had a beautiful terrace that we'd often sit on and complain about how fat we were or how much better we looked in clothes than other girls. As I look back on it, it was really stupid and childish.

I wore my favorite pink sweater and blue jeans. My daddy wasn't wearing a shirt, exposing his chest to the snow and biting winds. I guess after everything, he really didn't care anymore.

I climbed up to the terrace and opened the door that lead to the main hallway. I passed her brothers room where he was napping and her parents empty room. Daddy would have to find another way in because of his... Surprise for Delilah.

I found her room, where she was wearing a belly shirt I'd bough her for her twelfth birthday. This was the same room where she admitted all of her secrets to me. Where we laughed and painted each other's nails...

I snapped out of it. She helped a group of assholes rape my sister. She was completely dead to me. She deserved everything that was about to happen to her.

Dahlia was petrified of two things. Heights and animals. Slinking into her room, I tackled her to the floor. Before she could scream out, I bashed her head into the wall, leaving a crack. Tears poured down her face. I did it again.

"Opal... Why?" she cried before one last bang sent her into the realm of those not awake. Somewhere I hadn't been able to tread since history repeated itself.

Dahlia had always had a crush on BEN. When he'd pick me up from school, I remember her trying to talk to him and get his attention. That always bugged me for a reason I don't yet know.

"I'm sorry..." I lifted her up and took her to the terrace, where I held her over the railing until she woke up screaming. While one hand held her by her hair, the other covered her mouth. I fake dropped her a few times to scare the shit out of her.

My daddy finally arrived with the surprise. I pulled her up and she shook in fear at her surprise.

"Dahlia... Meet Smile." Dahlia screamed and shrieked. I pulled the ducktape out of my pocket and shut her up like I should have in the first place. Smile was going nuts, wanting to tear the mortal girl apart.

"Here sweetie, wanna pet my puppy?" asked my dad in a slow, cool, cruel voice. Dahlia was trying to run and get away, as tears poured down and soaked me. At this point, she'd wet herself.

... And this was the moment when I realized I couldn't do it. I couldn't let Smile tear apart a girl who wouldn't be in this position if it weren't for me. Quickly, I reached in my pocket and pulled out a gun.

One bullet to the head. That was all it took. The bang echoed around us. Her brother would be up by now. Looking at my dad, I thought he was going to kill me.

"We had a plan. Why couldn't you go with the plan?!"

"Because she wouldn't have been in this situation if it wasn't for me." Grabbing Smile, ashamed, I quickly jumped down from the terrace, landing with a crunch. And that crunch wasn't the ground. I fell to the floor, screaming.

My dad also jumped down, but where I landed all messed up and broke my foot, he easily caught himself. "What the fuck is wrong with you today!?" he snapped, eyes full of anger and worry.

He picked me up and carried us away. Her brother had already called the cops at this point, screaming and holding his sister. What he didn't know was that she was the lucky one.

"I just... Couldn't do it, Daddy... I'm sorry..." He glared down at me.

"I couldn't kill my best friend. I'm sorry if you thought that was going to be easy to do."

"She allowed your sister to be raped and set on fire." His voice was in a low, hurtful growl.

"Why can't you just be smart? Why couldn't you get the right justice for your sister?"

"The day she went out and got raped was the day I was trying to get you out of bed. I could have stopped her if it wasn't for you needing me to coax you up." I was not in the mood.

"... What the fuck are you saying, Opal?"

"What I'm saying is that if it wasn't for you wallowing in your own god damn self pity about your mom's, she could've been saved." My dad dropped me to the crunchy leaf ground. The snow was coming down even harder now, making far away things even more difficult to see.

"... You don't fucking blame me."

"You needed your daughter to get you out of bed well after her death. Mom would think you were pathetic, and be ashamed to be married to you, Jeffrey."

A cold, hard slap ran across my face. It took me a minute to realize what had just happened. I didn't torture my friend, my leg was broken after I jumped, my father and I fought, and...

My dad slapped me.

My.

Dad.

Slapped.

Me.

Looking at him, laying in the snow, cheek turning red from the incredibly hard slap, I felt stinging hot tears run down my face.

He reached down for me. "Opal I shouldn't have..." I looked up with a sharp, angry glare.

"Don't even touch me."

I scrambled up and limped off, my dad unable to move. All he did was sit there and watch me bounce from tree to tree, trying to get as far away from him as possible.

I limped onto a frozen lake and slipped and fell everywhere. But I was slipping and falling away from that fucker. I didn't need him. All he'd done is fuck-up and cry over his wife. He only stepped up when his little girl got raped.

Crackle, snap, crack. I looked down at my feet. Thin ice. I tried to move as little as possible so not to fall through. The ice just refused hold my weight, and my leg plummeted into the below zero water. In my struggle to get my leg out, my entire body fell under. I thrashed a bit.

The worst part is... I can't swim.