Chapter 25: Almost Over

Logan
I stared across the table at the empty seat. Stella should be sitting there right now. It was almost 5 and she wanted to meet me half an hour ago, but she never showed up. I called her few times to see if she was running late, but every time it went to voicemail. I still had hope somehow as I kept calling her, but the more she didn't answer, the more my mind kept going to the worst possible scenario I could make up. I hated myself for that.

The next day I woke up, hoping I would see Stella and if I didn't, then my only plan was to ask one of her friends. When I got to school, her car wasn't in the parking lot and I never saw her in the morning. Some part of me knew something was wrong cause I know she likes to get to school early, but part of me was pulling at the last part of hope my brain was mustering up to make me feel okay. But I knew I wasn't okay. By third period, when she didn't show up for gym class, I knew she wasn't going to show up at all. I stopped Frankie in the hall before lunch knowing that if anyone knew where she was, it would be him.

"Where is she? I swear to God if you don't tell me I'll--"

"Who are you talking about?" My heart sunk as I realized he wasn't going to know where she was either.

"Stella."

"No, I haven't heard from her since yesterday, why?"

"I was supposed to meet her last night and she never showed up. I've been trying to get a hold of her since yesterday too, but I haven't heard from her and I think something is wrong." I had no doubt that he could hear the worry in my voice because I was aware of it too. He quickly pulled out his phone that he had placed in his back pocket and started to type fast like something depended on it and with that, he started to walk away with a hurried pace.

I made my way to the school doors realizing I didn't need to be here when no one knows where Stella is--or at least everyone here didn't. As soon as the cool spring air hit me, I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. Unknown number?

"Hello?" It sounded like a question because I had no who it was.

"Long time no talk Carter," as soon as I heard his voice, chills were sent all throughout my body. "I met your girl, she's pretty . . . not for long though, she might have a few cuts and bruises."

"Listen, I don't know how the hell you got this number or why you're calling me, but if you hurt her, I'll kill you."

"Hey now, I didn't get too carried away, just enough to scare you. If you meet me and give me what your Dad owed me before I killed him then you'll get to walk away, so will your girl, win-win situation."

"Fine, where?"

"Go to 93 Evanston road. And go alone, Carter."

I hung up the phone. I couldn't stand listening to his voice anymore. The voice of someone who ruined my life: he killed my dad, my younger sister and now he hurt Stella. I just needed to find where Stella is before I did anything else.

~

I drove to her house, I drove to the school again only to find Frankie for the second time, but this time he actually had a fucking clue to what was going on. He said that after he texted and called Stella multiple times, her mom called him saying that she was in the hospital after she got into a car accident last night, but I'm the only one who knows it wasn't an accident. Well me and Jack. Jack is the bastard that murdered my father and sister and now is after me to pay him back for my dad's mistakes. I wanted to tell Stella this for so long, but Andrew, the detective that is on the case, said I couldn't have any relationships or friendships, I just had to stay hidden, by myself, with an empty house. My mom is in another state, and not that I blame her for that, Andrew told us it would be better if we stayed apart. I don't blame anyone but my Dad. He's the one that made mistakes and my sister and himself had to pay for that. My mom and I are still paying for it.

My Dad was a good guy up until the last few years of his life. He had a good job, but was laid off and then resorted to drinking and drugs and getting himself into trouble that he couldn't afford. Jack had enough and shot him twice in an alleyway. One in the shoulder, and one in the chest. A few months later he came to our house and and murdered my sister. I tried to save her, I would rather it be me instead of her, but she died almost instantly and I got shot in the lower abdomen, but I never suffered any serious, long term injuries. My mom wasn't in the house when it happened, she was on her way home from work and blames herself to this day for Abby's death. I told Stella that Abby was my cousin that lived where I used to cause I can't couldn't handle telling her the truth at the time. Ever since I met Stella I always thought that Abby would love Stella. I think my mom would too, but if I'm lucky, I'll have to wait a bit.

I drove to the hospital feeling anxious. I don't know how I'll feel when I see her laying in a hospital bed and I don't know what she looks after the accident. After I nervously traveled up 6 floors on the elevator, I found her room and stalled going in by calling Andrew.

"Jack called me earlier."

"What? When? Why didn't you call me before? Logan you need to tell us any information, you know that, so why didn't you?!" The tone in Andrew's voice let me know he was mad at me for not telling him earlier.

"I had to make sure someone was safe before I told you what was going on. I'm sorry, okay, but he told me to go to 93 Evanston road this afternoon so . . . do you guys have a plan or?"

"I just called in a swat team, they're ready to go, I'm going in with them. And stay where you are until I call you."

"Mhm," is all I manage to say. Is this really it? Will it all be over at the end of the day?

"I mean it, Carter, let us do our job and stay safe."

"Yeah I will. I have to go." With that I hung up the phone and slowly leaned my head into the window of her room.

I felt a pain in my chest as I took in the sight of her. She had a bruise in the middle of her forehead, on her cheekbone, and on the corner of her mouth with little small cuts placed in a few spots on her face and neck. It looked like her left arm was in a cast, but other than that, a hospital blanket was covering the rest of her body. I took a deep breath and opened the door. Her head automatically lifted up and her eyes met mine, but I wasn't expecting her to look at me that way. She looked sad.

"We'll give you two a minute," her mom said as both her parents started to walk out of the room. I just gave them a smile in response and waited until I heard the door close behind me before I started talking.

"Stella . . . I'm so sorry, I know this is all my fault, but just hear me out, I--" I was suddenly cut off by her voice.

"Get out," she spoke in a harsh tone while looking like she was about to cry.

"Stella, wait. Please, I--"

"Why don't you ever listen to me? I said get out! And don't come back here . . .please."

I looked at her with the same sad look she was giving me, "Okay. I'll leave. But this isn't over, we aren't over," I gave her a small smile and made my way out the door.