42

I stood against the door for a few minutes, listening to the seconds tick by from my clock in the room adjacent. This small box and an envelope, unopened in the palm of my hand.

Sighing, I took my shoes off and walked into the lounge, sprawling out on the sofa before taking another look at the box. What could it be?

After what seemed like an eternity, my phone went off with a notification. A message, probably from Ellie.

So? How'd it go with Hardy! Ellie x

As well as it could've gone. I think I may have shouted at him a bit too much. Although he did give me a present, I can't bring myself to open it... A x

I shall have to bang your heads together. Well let me know when you do! See you tomorrow. Ellie x

I put my phone down, turning on my tv to distract myself from the box. I even looked at the card in disbelief, hoping he would just pick up his phone and ring me.

Giving in to some of the temptation, I opened the card to find a print of a watercolour beach hut, quaintly surrounded by typical items you may find at a beach. Inside, a simple message from Alec.

Alice

Happy Birthday. I hope Miller doesn't surprise you too much with her party.

All my best,
Alec x

I stared at the small x after his name, symbolic of a kiss, scanning the card again and again for any kind of hidden signs. My eyes glanced over to the box once more, allowing me to see any similarities in the colour schemes. I was overthinking, but I couldn't allow myself to stop.

"All my best." I repeated, taking a deep breath before popping the card back on the table.  The TV faded in and out of my mind, my focus solely on the hand-sized box that he had gotten me. I shook my head, deciding that I needed one more birthday drink before calling it a day. Grabbing my keys, I slipped my boots back on and headed out. I made my way to the Star, the cool summer evening breeze enveloping the street, carried by the sea into the depths of the town.

"I hope you're not here to cause more trouble." Mike stood in front of me. It was only last night I was here after all, and he had called Alec using my phone.

"Not this time, just for one drink." I didn't like to say it was my birthday, it's bad enough the station and half the town now knew today was my birthday.

Mike smiled, shaking his head. "No trouble, Alice." I nodded, thanking my socks that he didn't know I was a police officer.  Walking into the small quaint pub, there were a few locals drinking at the bar and having a laugh, and a few tables taken by walkers and their dogs, who had obviously taken full advantage of the summer heat along the cliff side walks.

"What'll it be?" A young barman asked me, smiling cheerfully at me.

"I'll go for a Rattler please." He stood back and nodded, beginning to pour a pint of the sweet Cornish Cider that I was glad they still did up here.

"Sure thing." He disappeared around the corner of the bar, grabbing a pint glass to pour my cider from the tap. It was a moment or two before he returned, cash in one hand and my drink in the other. "The guy around there said he'd get it for you." I raised an eyebrow, never one to turn down a free drink. But who could know I was in here?