35

"We're going to get through this." Ellie said, glancing at Alec before patting my shoulders. "I think we have time to grab a coffee before going back to the stalls." She said, and I nodded. I don't know about coffee but I could murder a tea right now.

"Lucy." Ellie waved my lawyer over as Alec sipped as his tea, his other hand resting comfortingly on my thigh. Neither of us were ones for public affection, but as it was unseen and very much needed, I was glad he felt comfortable doing so. His touch was keeping me somewhat sane right now.

"Alice. How are you doing?" She asked, coffee in hand as she perched at the table with us.

"Yeah. I'm okay, all considering." I said, looking to Alec who squeezed my leg reassuringly. "I don't think I can go up there again, though." I admitted, feeling defeated by even saying that.

"Don't worry, I have already spoken with the judge, he said if needed you are welcome to sit out here during the rest of the trial." I shook my head, my heart suddenly racing again.

"No, I need to see how this plays out. I can't not know what's going on." I said, stopping myself and taking deep breaths as I saw my father waking over here. Please, no...

"I didn't come here to cause a scene." He said, his lawyer standing a few feet behind him. "I just came to say how stupid you're being trying to charge Alan with such atrocious things." Alec's hand left my leg and immediately he stood up and off the barstools we were sat at, making sure my dad couldn't get any closer.

"Do you have any idea what he put your daughter through? Do you even care?" I could feel the anger radiating off Alec, and I looked to Ellie in panic.

"DI Hardy, calm down." Ellie stepped in, "and for Christ's sake don't come over here preaching about how you believe a man you barely know over your own daughter. Men like you disgust me, now go away, before I get court security involved and have you removed." Ellie's sass surprised me, and as Alec took a step back my hand leant forward into his, catching him off guard. I squeezed it, telling him to please stop. As much as I appreciated him standing up to my father, I couldn't face knowing what he'd say to me now if he caught me alone.

"What a charmer." Ellie commented, Lucy picking up her coffee and pretending that situation had never happened.

"Right, I best head back in. See you soon." I nodded in thanks as she left, leaving the three of us to finish our drinks. Taking a deep breath I attempted to calm down, but after that confrontation I was shaking slightly, something I really didn't need right now.

"Right, I'll go and get us some seats." Ellie said, and as I looked up I could see why, Alec was giving her a look.

"Ok, thanks Ellie." I replied, watching her walk off so that we were left alone again.

"I'm sorry." Alec apologised, but immediately I shook my head, my hand tightening in his.

"Please, don't be. My dad has a way of making people... well, hit the roof." It was the only way I could explain it. I looked into Alec's eyes, the sorrowful expression weighing heavy on my heart. "Could we get a hotel tonight?" I asked, suddenly looking down.

"Not for... well that. I just don't think I can face the drive back to Broadchurch after today." It was only a 2 hour drive, but after everything today I just wanted a relaxing bath and bed.

"Err..." Alec began, suddenly being interrupted by our call for the continuation of the trial. "Let's talk about this after." If it was money he was worried about I would offer to pay, after all luckily I was on paid leave and I hadn't had any outgoings because I had been staying at Alec's anyway. It was the least I could've done.