1

As the waves lapped over the shore, I thought about what had just happened over the past few weeks.
He had hit me. Not just that... he had...

Shaking the horrific thoughts out of my mind, I decided that it was time to move on. Even if it meant moving into a city, I couldn't be in Plymouth anymore. I needed to move up the coast. This moment of clarity allowed me to actually think clearly, for once.
Getting my phone out of my pocket, I managed to open the internet and search for destination finder. The first option was for the destinations with the best beaches.
Looking up at the sea, the sun steadily going down, I decided to click on it. Who was I kidding, I couldn't live away from the sea, it made where ever I was feel like home.
A list of places came up, the first being a small town in Cornwall. As much as I loved it, he would find me there.
"Broadchurch." I said aloud, knowing the name. It had been on the news a few years back for the murder of that young boys killer, being released. The station wouldn't stop talking about it.
I continued scrolling, but I couldn't stop thinking about Broadchurch, the photo of the cliff edge looking almost too beautiful to be real.
"I suppose Dorset will do..." I sighed, putting my phone away and standing up, brushing the damp sand off of my coat and trousers. I had a small rucksack with me, a few things I had managed to grab before he had come home.

"Hi. Yeah, it's me. Listen, is it possible to get a last minute transferral?"

***

"Broadchurch Harbour!" The coach driver let us all know, standing up and opening the doors.

"Thank you." I said, one of only a few people leaving the coach to get off in a seemingly peaceful coastal town. "Do you know where the nearest hotel is?" I ask, the coach driver nodding.

"I normally send people to the Traders. Just up the highstreet, on the right. Can't miss it." The bus driver pointed at the highstreet, adjacent the police station and harbour.

"Ok, thanks again. I adjust my backpack, nodding at the driver.

"No problem, love." His Dorset accent was rather thick, obviously relatively local to the area. After the coach pulled away, I turned and saw few people on the highstreet, the sun lowering so that the harbour only dappled in sunlight. An orange hue scorched the sky, making me curious as to the layout of this quaint town.

"Hi! Welcome to the Traders. Do you have a reservation?" An Australian woman greeted me, opening her book and readying her pen.

"Err, no I don't. I didn't know I was coming here until recently." I tucked hair behind my ears. "I've been transferred here from Plymouth." I couldn't exactly lie, seeing as I knew all too well what small town gossip would do. Keeping secrets in a place like this would only make it ten times worse when they came out.

"That's ok! I have a few spare rooms. How long are you looking at staying?" She asked, and that stumped me.

"I, err." I shrugged, feeling my phone ring in my pocket. Digging it out it was registered under an unknown number, at least one I didn't have in my address book. "Sorry, I need to take this." The receptionist nodded as I dragged the green button, being greeted by a man.

"Hi. Is this Miss Walker?"

"Yes. Who's speaking?" I asked, looking apologetically at the receptionist.

"Wessex Police, Miss. DI Hollis forwarded your paperwork to us regarding a transferral?"

"Ah yes. Blimey that was quick. I've actually just arrived in Broadchurch." I heard a few papers shuffling in the background.

"I'm afraid we have no positions open for non-uniformed officers at the moment, but if you are able to man the front desk?"

"Oh. Yes of course. I apologise for it all being so last minute." I didn't say any more, hoping he wouldn't mention the bullshit reason I gave for my excuse to transfer. I couldn't tell DI Hollis about him, he'd just laugh at me. Plymouth isn't exactly known for having the best police force within Devon and Cornwall.

"We shall see you tomorrow. DI Hardy and DS Miller will have to conduct an interview, along with our Sergeant."

"Yes, of course, thank you." Hanging up, I apologised yet again.

"Don't worry! Congratulations on the job. Oh, I'm Becca, by the way." Smiling sheepishly I shook Becca's hand.

"I offer discounts for Broadchurch police for long term board, so-"

"How do you know that I work for the police?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, sorry. I overheard you." Becca turned around and got a key from her board, walking towards the stairs. "When you own a hotel, you learn to keep an ear out. Come on, I'll show you to your room." Walking up the stairs I noticed the dated decor, which somehow had charm in this little town.
"Right, here we go. Bathroom just to your left, laundry every two days at ten, and all of the shampoos are complimentary. Oh and tea!" Becca showed me the room, opening the blinds to reveal a view of the road below and a somewhat restricted view down to the sea. "Anything you need, I'm on 9." Pointing to the phone, before walking to the door.

"Thank you. Do you know anywhere that sells clothes?" I asked, scratching my head as I put my bag down on the chair.

"I'm afraid they'll all be shut now. The only place that'll be open is the Kings Arms down the road, which only sells alcohol and food." Becca stepped out, smiling. "See you later." Shutting the door she left me in peace, damn. Luckily what I had on would be good enough for tomorrow, but it was seven, I guess I should have known.

"The pub it is then." The best way to get to know the locals, who knows what I'll find along the way. Plus after the day I've had, I could use a way to unwind.

I managed to miss Becca on the way out, I had a feeling that she could talk for days given half the chance.
Walking along the quiet high street, I allowed myself to breath the fresh air and tried to relax, but I couldn't shake the feeling that he was right behind me.