17

Feeling the drowsiness and dry mouth was the best part of waking up in hospital.

The worst parts were the pain that was in my side, along with the fact I woke up alone.

Or so I thought.

I grumbled, trying to open my eyes as I felt all the needles in my hands and arms, an oxygen mask stuck to my face.
I forced myself to look to my left, feeling warm light hit my face as my eyes fluttered more, trying to move my impossibly heavy body to move the mask.

"You had me worried, Walker." I knew that Scottish accent. I opened my eyes to see a shadow sitting in front of the window.

"Alec." I closed my eyes slowly and smiled, trying to open them again. "I'm alive."

"You better bloody be." He replied, sitting forwards so I could see his face.

"Could you-" looking at the the mask, Alec sat up and removed it, gently placing it above the pillow. The hospital was quite quiet, we were away from the general hustle and bustle. "What about Alan." I asked, hearing him sigh.

"Miller went in for the interview as you went for surgery. I haven't checked my phone since then, I've been waiting for you to wake up." I knew what that meant.

"You've removed yourself from the case." I frowned, trying to sit up slightly. Alec went to stop me but I shook my head. "I need to sit up. Just a little." I knew he couldn't argue with, I can imagine he'd be the same.

"There was a... conflict of interest." Hardy said, making me lift the corner of my mouth.

"Neither of us would have been able to explain why you got stabbed in my underwear at your house." I laughed, wincing slightly. "Please tell me you got the knife. It's got his prints and-"

"We're off the case, Alice."

"But the knife needs-" I paused, looking at Hardy sit onto my bed, unbuttoning his jacket. "You just used my first name." I looked at him in disbelief, watching him breathe and look at me, his stoic expression never-changing.

"Ah! Miss Walker, you're awake." We were interrupted by the nurse, accompanied by a doctor. "How are you feeling?" She asked, picking up my chart on the end of my bed as Hardy stood back up and faced the bed.

"Sore." I replied honestly, glancing over the Alec before looking back to the doctors.

"That's to be expected. Can we take a look?" The nurse began to walk over, making Hardy step back as she lifted the sheets, revealing my gown. "DI Hardy, you're going to have to wait outside for a moment." He looked at me and frowned, but I nodded.

"Call Ellie, see what's gone on." I say, seeing him nod. I must admit, it was nice to see him worried, but I also didn't want him to, for his hearts sake.

"Right, let's take a look." The nurse lifted my gown, revealing a large white dressing which had got a bit of blood that had bled through.

"Ouch." I said, glancing down at it.

"You might not want to look." She said, looking back up before gently peeling back the dressing to reveal a very messy looking wound, stitched shut.

"Oh god." I looked away, wrongly thinking I could deal with it. I felt queasy, the dizziness making me feel sick.

"I'll change it now. Don't look at it again." She advised, making me nod.

"No worries there." Holding my gown up I felt a sting as she wiped it, quickly covering it back up. "When will I be able to go home?" I asked, not even thinking about where I would actually go.

"It'll be a few days yet, we want to keep an eye on you, the blade went quite deep into your abdomen." I nodded, understanding, but I couldn't stay here overnight.

"DI Hardy, you can come back in." The nurse opened the curtain to reveal him standing there with his hands in his pockets, looking as miserable as ever.

"What happened. What did Ellie say?" I said, waiting for the nurse to leave.
I couldn't keep my nerves at bay, the heart rate monitor showing that.

"He's said some serious allegations about you." Hardy said, looking grim.

"I knew he would." Nodding my head. "You're arresting me, aren't you." I knew this would happen.

"Alice Walker, you are under arrest for the suspicion of misleading a police investigation and sexual assault. You do not have to say anything but anything you do say may be given in evidence at a court of law. Do you understand?" Neither of us were enjoying this.

"I understand." I said, letting him bring the uniformed officers in. I would take any allegation that Alan had and throw it back at him, because it wasn't true. I held my hand up to the bed and let Simon cuff me, restraining me from leaving the hospital.

"Miss Walker isn't well enough to leave the hospital yet." The nurse approached, but I shook my head.

"I'm discharging myself." Sitting up I managed to get off the bed, the sensation of standing feeling incredibly painful. "I'll come in to the station now, can you please uncuff me." I asked Simon, who did so immediately. Looking over at my clothes I attempted to put my underwear on, struggling and barely managing.

"Here." Hardy gave me his coat, letting me slip on my shoes and carry my socks and rest of my clothes in a bag.

"Let's go and get this over with." Resting on his arm for support, Hardy escorted me outside to the police car after letting me sign my discharge papers, much to the nurses annoyance.

"I'll sit in the back with her." Hardy said, and luckily they nodded and obliged. He helped me into the car, making sure I was in before shutting the door and making his way to the other passenger seat.
There was silence on the way, but then I wasn't expecting conversation. I had been arrested.

"Here we go." Simon said, pulling up to the station and coming to a halt. Hardy looked to me as he exited the car, Simon opening the door.

"Come on." Hardy grabbed my arm and helped me up, allowing me to walk steadily up the steps to the station. "Steady." Alec was trying to slow me down, but I was in a hospital gown and his coat walking into a police station, being accused for sexual assault and impeding a police investigation.

"I'm fine." I said to Alec, trying to let go. He wouldn't, and I sighed as I held my side. "I want to get this over with."