25

"Are you sure you'll be ok?" Ellie asked for the millionth time, glancing at Hardy before looking back at me and embracing me in a hug.

"Of course. Hardy's insisting that because he's the landlord he has to be on the property, so I think he's got it covered." I answered, seeing a small smirk grow on her face. "Oh shut up, you know what I mean." I crossed my arms, looking back at the man in glasses reading a crossword puzzle.

"Mhm. Let me know how it goes." After we waved goodbye I closed the door, making my way to him on the sofa.
"At least she wasn't smothering me today." I commented, sitting down gently next to him on the two seater.

"Miller doesn't know personal boundaries." He commented, putting down the paper and taking off his glasses.

"Where as you respect them too much. You're like polar opposites." I shake my head, seeing him put a hand on my leg. "Have you made your mind up yet? About what you want?" I asked him, seeing his expression harden slightly, and shut me out. "I know you don't do the mushy stuff, but the mushy stuff is what I need right now. I need someone by my side to help me through this, Alec. Not some counsellor or SIF woman. I know they work independently with police but I just can't have people knowing about this. It going to court is bad enough." He took my hand and placed it underneath, leaning in. The scent of him, a slight smell of musk and tea, calmed me as I saw his mouth move.

"Let's try this." I sat there, quite shocked that those words had come out of Alec Hardy.

"Sorry?" I pardoned, still staring at him in disbelief.

"I... I haven't dated since Tess. And when we slept together, I don't know, it got me thinking about it again." He was all a mess for words, which I had to admit was adorable.

"So, can we stop with the last name thing?" I asked, seeing him lean in and as I closed my eyes I felt his lips on mine, a soft peck more than anything.

"I don't think so, Walker." Like he knew it would, the door rang and he immediately hopped up to get it, leaving me caught in that moment.

"Yes, come in." Hardy invited the lawyer in, a small, middle aged lady that had a black briefcase with her.

"Miss Walker. Lucy Harold. I'll be representing you." I nodded, shaking her hand.

"I apologise for not getting up."

"Oh no no, that's quite alright, I've read the case file and know exactly what has happened." I gulped, looking to Hardy.

"Could you make us some tea?" I asked, wanting to get him out the room for just a minute. I know he'd be watching me like a hawk.

"Oh, please. No sugar, just a dash of milk." Lucy said, tucking a strand of her long, shoulder-length blonde hair behind her ear. She took a seat on the single chair and I moved up to the seat closest to hers, eyeing her case file. "I'm going to be honest with you, apart from the video evidence, nothing else is going to stand up in court."

This was exactly what I was afraid of.

"If you take the stand, which I will suggest that you don't do in your condition, the defence will tear you apart with allegations about you and DI Hardy, and also about assaulting the defendant."

"What? I've never-" I thought back to that time I had tried to fight back, whacked him square in the jaw with a baking tray. I'd gotten the full brunt of it that night, the worst of the videos he had taken. But it was clear that I had assaulted him and I wasn't going to deny the fact that I'd try to defend myself.

"Now look, if they bring that up we will go for self defence."

"That's what it was." I argued.

"Yes. As for the affair..."

"We're together." I blurted out, making Lucy's eyes widen. "That's why DI Hardy took himself off the case. Because we became involved." He was going to kill me, but I suppose it wasn't exactly a lie.

"You need to tell me this so I can help build a case. So that night the defendant came over and assaulted you, had you slept with DI Hardy?"

"What, am I on the stand now?" I questioned, seeing Hardy walk in with three cups.

"I need to know, Did you sleep with DI Hardy?" Lucy repeated, making him place the mugs down firmly on the table.

"What kind of question is that?" He sat beside me, his eyes squinted.

"The sort of question the defence will be asking." Lucy said, writing notes. "Look, you two may be together but DI Hardy's duty of care was broken by sleeping with you. As a victim we-"

"She's not a victim. We don't use that word." He sounded incredibly annoyed at that.

***

"I'll call in your office next week, before the trial." I said, seeing her pack her things away.

"Don't forget, if you remember anything, let me know. I need to know these things to help." Lucy said, standing up and making her way to the door.

"Thank you." When she'd left, Hardy flailed his hands in the air and cursed.
"We knew the case has been a shambles." I admitted. "I know it falls on you-"

"You're right, it does." Hardy curtly responded.

"Hey, don't take this out on me." I snapped back at him, making his frown disappear.

"You're right, sorry." I put my hand on his knee, leaning my head on his shoulder, waiting for him to move away, but instead he moved me closer.
"I don't want this happening to anyone else. I want you safe, and I want this community safe."

"And they are. I know how limited resources are, but you're doing your best." I tried to cheer him up, but it seemed that physical touch was the best way.

"I don't get why someone would do that. To physically force yourself upon someone..." I placed a hand on his arm, reassuring him.

"This isn't a normal case. It wasn't done following procedures and I should have contacted the Devon forces instead of running away. But the video evidence, it's ... clear." I shivered, thinking about the courtroom watching that with me there, but the jury needed to see it, and my reaction.

"I know, and it's bloody annoying." He leaned back, still angry. I got closer and placed my head on his shoulder, wrapping my arms around his.

"I know you aren't good at people, Alec, but you're supporting me. You've done the right thing."